Please no, not another Roubo build thread

All ribbing aside, your really getting me on the horse to start my bench.

I kept saying, I don't have room for a Roubo, I'll make a modified hybrid Roubo/Scandinavian style bench that will double as an outfeed and assembly table. Then I started that box for my friend and with the use of my new hand tools I needed better work holding. Started drilling holes in my miter bench for some better clamping.

The top front slab on saw horses has seen so much use already.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I've been going the same thing for over a year. I've wasted more trees of scratch paper drawing things out, thinking I can design one better, blaming my lack of a decent jointer (as you know). All the time working on a pos bench and hating it constantly.

I'm done trying to play designer. I'm going to make some tweaks that make sense for my work style but all and all. I bought in. Now time to do something about it.

I've been going the same thing for over a year. I've wasted more trees of scratch paper drawing things out, thinking I can design one better, blaming my lack of a decent jointer (as you know). All the time working on a pos bench and hating it constantly.

I'm done trying to play designer. I'm going to make some tweaks that make sense for my work style but all and all. I bought in. Now time to do something about it.

I said to hell with designing this thing, there's a million plans out there for work benches. Then I said to hell with building it, I'll just buy one. Started looking at them, and they all sucked, and the ones that didn't were 3500 or more. So I ordered the bc hardware and went to the lumber yard. I do think I'm a little regretful for not getting ash for the material. But again the yard didn't have any over 6 feet long.

It's not about appearance...soft maple is...soft.  Ash is harder and IMO would make a better bench, although I'm not sure I'd be a big fan of an open-pored species for a workbench...dirt magnet.  I think hard maple is probably king.  If I could rewind my life I would have used hard maple for sure.

Why the regret?

In my arbitrary list of appeal of the domestics, I hold soft Maple higher than ash once finished. Ash does have some pretty grain but maple is. . Maple.

I love maple, soft maple can have amazing grain. Such as in the crisscross groove. That has Danish oil on it, looks great. I keep putting dents in it inadvertently, dropped the corner of a parallel clamp on it and dented a leg. No big deal, but still annoying. Ash is much harder, and cheaper. Hard maple would've cost me another 350 or 400. I'm already 1650 into this bench between wood, hardware, Gramercy holdfasts, and different bits I needed.

2ed5ed83ac500e18360c99ac5ca59cd8.jpg

Hard maple would've cost me another 350 or 400.

Yeah but what's $400 over the course of a lifetime?  That's not why I went with soft maple but I can tell you I wouldn't have missed that money after a week or two...but now I DO have to work on a big marshmallow the rest of my life.

I mean you just gave up half a mortgage payment for a router you didn't need...so you know it ain't about the money.  And that's the TRUF. :D

• Like 1

Yeah but what's $400 over the course of a lifetime? That's not why I went with soft maple but I can tell you I wouldn't have missed that money after a week or two...but now I DO have to work on a big marshmallow the rest of my life.

I mean you just gave up half a mortgage payment for a router you didn't need...so you know it ain't about the money. And that's the TRUF. :D

Well you don't have to work on it the rest of your life. Build another one

• Like 1

I mean you just gave up half a mortgage payment for a router you didn't need...so you know it ain't about the money.  And that's the TRUF. :D

Yes, but I sleep better at night knowing that I can route 1" deep 1/2" mortises in a single pass with ease and comfort while collecting all the dust. =P 

I went with the suggestions of all the big woodworkers, including Marc. They all said soft maple so you don't dent your workpiece, yada yada yada. Crazy man Paul Sellers suggests pine. I do like how easy soft maple is to mill. The thought of running 8 foot pieces of hard maple through my bandsaw to resaw, and to plane, etc doesn't sound like fun. I could've got 8/4 common cherry for 3 bucks a bf. Should've built the whole thing from cherry and some hard maple for the end cap and leg vise. 

They all said soft maple so you don't dent your workpiece, yada yada yada.

Yep, I bought that whole thing hook, line and sinker, too.  But it's been debunked, for me at least...like I said, I've dropped bubinga on my bench and they both dented.  So no big advantage there.

Hey BW, come on out to Missouri with a truck and five grand, take this bench off my hands and I'll get started on the new one right away. :)

Yep, I bought that whole thing hook, line and sinker, too.  But it's been debunked, for me at least...like I said, I've dropped bubinga on my bench and they both dented.  So no big advantage there.

Hey BW, come on out to Missouri with a truck and five grand, take this bench off my hands and I'll get started on the new one right away. :)

Wanna borrow Gigantor the Routinator?

Damn responsibilities getting in the way of bench building

My uncle from Florida is visiting. Wanted to see the shop. He saw it last year as I was putting it together. He walked in and was thoroughly impressed by all my stuff, and thought the tail vise was too nice to be used as a tool.

• Like 1