New Yardsale Router - Help Identify.

Fentanyl831

My wife woke up nice and early and did some yardsale shopping while i lounged around with the kids.  She returned home with a new toy for me.  A router!  I have never had one before as I am relatively new to woodworking and i was quite excited.  Quickly though i realized i couldnt find any details or even a manual online for this thing.  The markings on it say "Routner Machine Item: 7012" "120V/60Hz 11 AMP" "26000RPM" and then lower down it says "Cummins industrial tools Item: 7012".  I would really love to track down a manual or some form of details for this bad boy before i get to excited. 

I have a 1/4" and 1/2" router bit and the 1/2in is to wide to go in, the 1/4" goes in fine but when i tighten the nut(not sure what its real name is) the bit is not tight at all.  :(

I truly would appreciate any help.  This is the last thing i need to finish my first project; cube shelf for my sons room.

post-17948-0-86400000-1432423458_thumb.j

post-17948-0-00839000-1432423460_thumb.j

post-17948-0-89141200-1432423460_thumb.j

post-17948-0-85495300-1432423461_thumb.j

post-17948-0-77619600-1432423462_thumb.j

Can you take one more pic of the bottom from an angle? There is a collet (nut) for 1/4" bits and one for 1/2" and apparently you only have the 1/4". You have quiet a stash of router bits in the background. This is your first router?

Looks like a cheapo knock off they sell at the traveling tool sales. The ones that come to town for 2 days advertising the ridiculously low prices and when you get there the name brand stuff looks used and cost more than new and the off brand stuff is one shake away from broke but it's such a good deal... Yeah, that one :D btw, don't buy the sandpaper thy have, the sand just comes off the paper and then you have rough wood with sand on it... Don't ask, just trust me!

Can you take one more pic of the bottom from an angle? There is a collet (nut) for 1/4" bits and one for 1/2" and apparently you only have the 1/4". You have quiet a stash of router bits in the background. This is your first router?

Attached a side view of the bottom.  The main part is to narrow to receive a 1/2" bit, i tried with one of the ones sitting in the box behind it.  The stack of bits came from a sale on Amazon + a gift card burning a hole in my pocket.  A bit bummed that they dont fit in this one.  post-17948-0-25944100-1432434994_thumb.j

Don't want to be a Debbie downer here, but your router machine scares me a little with the plastic lock mechanism.

No worries, the whole thing terrifies me a bit as well.

Looks like a cheapo knock off they sell at the traveling tool sales. The ones that come to town for 2 days advertising the ridiculously low prices and when you get there the name brand stuff looks used and cost more than new and the off brand stuff is one shake away from broke but it's such a good deal... Yeah, that one :D btw, don't buy the sandpaper thy have, the sand just comes off the paper and then you have rough wood with sand on it... Don't ask, just trust me!

I am going to guess that you have a sad experience with said sand paper and trust you completely, without question.

All in all, I'm sure your wife meant well!

Yeah, her intention was swell.

hey, mine would have drug me across the yard to keep me from finding a woodworking tool at a yard sale, I'll give his wife props for buying it without him even there!

Give it a year and i'm sure she will feel the same way now about woodworking tools as she has about me going anywhere near computer parts for the past 5 years.  :D

The piece with the slit in it is a collet. If it won't hold a 1/4" or 1/2" bit it must be metric. Or a very slim chance it could be 3/8 but I've never seen one in 40 years in this trade.

It holds the 1/4" nicely.  I dug around in the box that the router came it and it was in a little tiny ziploc bag along with a few springs.  Thank you though for verifying that is the collet. 

Bring it to your local Rockler store next time they have a trade in sale and get yourself a good quality/safe router.

Unfortunately the closest one to me is about 3 hours away.  I suppose i could just turn it into a family trip and score some wife points at the same time as upgrading.

The piece with the slit in it is a collet. If it won't hold a 1/4" or 1/2" bit it must be metric. Or a very slim chance it could be 3/8 but I've never seen one in 40 years in this trade.

I have a router that came with 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2" collets. Of course, it is a $59 Harbor Freight special!

OK OK....somebody's got to address the white elephant....do you REALLY want a sharp bit, spinning 10,000 rpms, close to all of your major organs and arteries in a $4.00 machine that you have questions about the bit being tight enough? Give the wife a sincere 'thank you' and take that death trap to the pawn shop.  Take wthighlander's advice and go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a $59 router before you spend $2000 in the ER................because some of us have done exactly that.

OK OK....somebody's got to address the white elephant....do you REALLY want a sharp bit, spinning 10,000 rpms, close to all of your major organs and arteries in a $4.00 machine that you have questions about the bit being tight enough? Give the wife a sincere 'thank you' and take that death trap to the pawn shop.  Take wthighlander's advice and go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a $59 router before you spend $2000 in the ER................because some of us have done exactly that.

Once i located the collet the bit fits snug as a bug.  That being said, i really don't feel like visiting my wife at work (She works in the ER) because of how sketchy this thing is.  I will probably just open it up, snip a wire, and then tell her that it was beyond nice of her but its a dud.  Then jump on amazon and order a new one to cure the new found saddness of my dead router.  Any suggestions?

Snug is the key....if it is...hey.....run it but at the first hint of crazy, BAIL OUT!!! :)

Yeah.....but one more thing.....with her WORKING in the ER???? She's seen enough craziness...so all you have to do is mention it's questionable along with the sharp bit and 10,000rpms stuff and she'll understand.  "Honey....thanks, but I think I'm going to pawn this one and just go buy one"....you'll probably get a hardy 'sure...go ahead'. (?)

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I've been following this thread and it doesn't seem that you understand routers to well. I would find some one to kinda give you some pointers before getting into a dangerous place. If your not sure and comfortable, that's the first sign to back off and let someone help you. Again. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's not worth a trip to see your wife at the ER.

I don't mean to be a dick, but I've been following this thread and it doesn't seem that you understand routers to well. I would find some one to kinda give you some pointers before getting into a dangerous place. If your not sure and comfortable, that's the first sign to back off and let someone help you. Again. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's not worth a trip to see your wife at the ER.

You are not being a jerk.  I openly admit i don't know jack.  In the very first post i state that i know very little about it.  Thats why i was hoping to find as much info as possible and possibly the manual for it.  It intimidates me quite a bit.  I understand the concept but have no real world experience with them.

Put a round over bit in it, tighten ot upgood, clp a piece of wood to a benchthen whatch a couple yyputube videos on getting started with a router and have at it!!

Male sure you pay attention to router direction. It will be covered in the videos.

They're not difficult ir hard to learn.

As long as that bit is tight )which you said it is) the router should be fine.

You could even plug it in and turn it on without a bit in it (just tighten up the nut alittle),and familiarize yourself with the high pitch whine.

But there is no need to be afraid to try it.

Remember safety glasses and hearing protection.