New Yardsale Router - Help Identify.

Fentanyl831

Think of a top fuel alcohol Dragster....If it's going to make a pass down the track at about 100 mph....things can be a little out adjustment and it may not be a big deal (like a drill press at low rpms).  BUT....that dragster is capable of clicking off a quarter mile at 320mph.......and.......if it is to do that, everything has to be perfect because "almost adjusted" doesn't work when you push the limits...kind of like the router at 10,000 rpms.  From listening to so many here for years and hearing all of their mishaps with tools,

I look at all of my tools with more caution and respect now - You add to that my own experiences of trips to the ER, I say pawn the thing. :)

So i put my big boy pants on:

Plugged the router in without a bit and pulled the trigger......

Nothing!

Darn thing didn't power up.  So now I know why she got it dirt cheap.  I refused to let this be a setback.  I took it apart and quickly identified the problem.  The main power cable must have been yanked on relatively hard at some point and it was disconnected from the machine inside.  A little wire stripping, 2 new crimps and back together it went.  Plugged it in, pulled the trigger and BOOM, power.  I am glad i listened and powered it up the first time without a bit, I was a bit surprised at the power behind this thing. 

Next i put the single 1/4" bit i have into the router and locked it in place nice and tight.  0% chance this thing was going anywhere.  I dropped it below the base by maybe 1/32", very minimal bit exposure.  I clamped some scrap wood to the table, set up a makeshift fence with another piece of scrap wood.  Threw on my goggles, thickest shoes, apron, gloves, everything possible that i had to protect myself and set my wife at the other side of the garage in case anything catastrophic happened.  I mimicked the posture i had observed off a few youtube videos and set myself up.  I placed it partially on the edge of the wood resting against the fence.  Pulled the trigger, let it reach speed, and then slowly started to slide it across the board.  It's working, it's working!  It went across effortlessly and created what i consider a beautiful line. 

post-17948-0-08393300-1432511801_thumb.j

What a rush!

You definitely do not get this much exhilaration when you are creating things in a computer.  I could probably write pages upon pages about the joy i am feeling right now but I would much rather be out in the garage making passes on the wood. 

When you do eventually upgrade it, you'll find they don't jerk so much on start up.. 

TRZ is 100% accurate, it is very addictive!

Addictive? No not a chance, I was done buying tools after the Drill miter band drum sander saw press. (Ordered a Veritas router plane, Narex Mortise chisels, new japanese flush cut saw last week) Now about to order some LN planes....

If you're going to dive into woodworking, make sure your wife greatly approves of the hobby. Show her the reindeer, it'll justify your need for a bandsaw. 

Forget all that approval crap...that doesn't work.  Just hide your money and learn how to be deceptive.

Think I'm joking?  Bookmark this thread and let us know in a year.

I fix quite a few computers on the side so I can utilize that skill set to fund the development of a new one.  As long as the money tunnels are filled each month she isn't to concerned with what i spend money on.   She may withhold goods from me when she sees a 2k$ purchase come across the alerts one day though, lol.