Adjustable-height stool experiment

wtnhighlander

I don't know, I kinda like it, it's got a nice, well worn but cared for look. The seat shouldn't be as worn anyway if we are talking about an antique look, getting up and down on it would keep the dirt out of the wood, assuming it was old :D

As promised, here are fully assembled photos.

57c3da13891c1c726d73e5d2a879be2b.jpg

9884068866c5e02a0f6b54d2830ad855.jpg

Here it is stored under my stand-up desk.

471e4f7a1799fa961aaf830a08c525ca.jpg

And last, extend for use at said desk.

f610921945d547eda1aff774aa33406c.jpg

No 'feet up' yet. Although it seems to be working well, I'm not sure the pine will last, so it may go back to the shop.

Thanks for tagging along, eveyone! I really appreciate the encouragement and suggestions.

Bullet points for stool 2.0:

- Hard wood! Probably red oak, the most commom here.

- Swivel seat, perhaps with a folding back.

- Three leg design, four always manages to wobble.

At least 2 people tell me they like this concept as a table, although I'm not sure I see the utility. Maybe as a TV tray sort of snack table?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did another experiment on this stool, the failed steps of which are found here:

Long story short, I toyed with a possible business logo as an inlay to hide that terrible looking through tenon on the seat. Here is the result:

0d2e22731f5b02603130098440415458.jpg

The initial is scroll sawn from a 1/4" piece of spalted poplar. The black fill is fiberglass resin from a boat repair kit, mixed with fine steel powder. The border is a wire inlay of "pewter", a.k.a lead-free plumbing solder.

Interesting experience overall. I would certainly go for a hardwood over the pine I used, as the soft pine just won't hold a crisp edge for anything.

Surprisingly, this stool has taken my 200+ lbs in stride for the past 2 weeks, no problem. I really thought the lap-joined X feet would give out, but so far so good.

This helped me work out some ideas, which I hope to use in a future multiple bar stool build.

Those will have swivel seats and backs, though.

And be prettier!

• Like 1

Someone posted here on the subject and provided a link where you heat the wire/metal (can't spell the word for it and spell check doesn't help) to soften it where it can be worked with a scraper. I'm going to try it with melted down gold Krugerrands

Someone posted here on the subject and provided a link where you heat the wire/metal (can't spell the word for it and spell check doesn't help) to soften it where it can be worked with a scraper. I'm going to try it with melted down gold Krugerrands

You have a problem with German gold?

Copper gets hard when bent and needs to be annealed. This is a practice that can be researched but any time you bend or hammer on copper or brass, it gets a little harder and more brittle. Gold on its own is not like this. I lack knowledge of the particular alloys it is sold as.

A stool for a standup unit??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Sitting all day led to lower back pain, but standing leads to foot & knee pain. Using the standing height desk with thr stool allows me to alternate without inhibiting my productivity.

The adjustable height was just for giggles.

Yes. Sitting all day led to lower back pain, but standing leads to foot & knee pain. Using the standing height desk with thr stool allows me to alternate without inhibiting my productivity.

The adjustable height was just for giggles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...