Adjustable-height stool experiment

wtnhighlander

My local hardware store has a few plastic kits with a pretty good selection of springs. I took some parts and calipers with me to determine what would fit. They were cheap so I bought several strengths. Once I had the right one I stocked up on those. LED floodlight bulbs were too heavy for those swing arm architects lamps , new springs did the trick !

2 hours ago, Chet K. said:

Have you thought about puttting a metal sleeve in to each of the holes on the center post.  Maybe something in brass so it looks nice.

Chet, that would certainly look very sharp. Cut rings from brass tubing, or even copper pipe. I may do an experimental repair on V. 1.0 to see how well it works.

• Like 1

And maybe have the hole deeper/pin longer so the weight is not just resting on an inch or so?

That's a problem with the pivoting pin design I used. Too long, and the pin won't slip into the hole as it travels the arc. For V 2.0, I'm considering a pin on a slide mechanism that goes straight in and out, hence the spring to keep it in.

• 5 months later...

Any progress on this? Just found it, it is really interesting. 

By the way, extending the pin would only yield marginal returns, there comes a point where the stiffness of the pin and base material come into play and you will still be loading mostly at the edge of the hole.

Any progress on this? Just found it, it is really interesting. 

By the way, extending the pin would only yield marginal returns, there comes a point where the stiffness of the pin and base material come into play and you will still be loading mostly at the edge of the hole.

I haven't done anything with it. Still using the stool at work. I highly recommend some sort of spring in the mechanism to keep the pin engaged. I've nearly fallen a couple of times, due to the pin not being fully engaged when I sat down.

Ross, 

Your design was fantastic, I agree that the cheap construction grade pine is probably the issue. I have some nice 8/4 hard maple that has this written all over it. 

Be sure to journal it! I want to see how someone else's version turns out. I have to many items on my "honey do" list before I can re-make the stool!

On 9/10/2016 at 0:11 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Be sure to journal it! I want to see how someone else's version turns out. I have to many items on my "honey do" list before I can re-make the stool!

I have a whole house of furniture to build, including a bed, but I will certainly journal it while I build.