Thompsons water seal/cedar stain

amateur eric

Making those tables for the wedding as some of you already know. I got Thompsons water sealer/cedar stain for them to keep them protected and to make the wood a little prettier. Does it have to be hand brushed on or can it be sprayed? My father mentioned putting it in his spray gun and applying it that way, but I don't know how effective that would be. The wood is 2x4 and 2x6 lumber and 1x6 pine dog ear fencing boards for the top. I still have to sand down the tables before putting the sealer on anyways so I have a few more days before I can even think about sealing it. How long does that stuff have to cure before people in dresses and khaki pants can sit on them without rubbing off on clothing?

-soulless-

I've generally found that wiping that sort of thing on tends to work best. In the past, I've used it with one of the painter pads to apply it, but that was for decking (but probably made it go as quick or quicker than trying to spray it). I can't say I ever sat on a surface soon after applying, but I would plan for a few days based on what I've seen.

If you're gonna use that just for the wedding I'd say okay but if you want those tables to last, I'd return that product and go with Cabot.  Cabot, while a little more expensive, will save you a lot because you won't have to apply it as often.   It's protection is superior. 

I use it on wooden roof shingles and shakes after they are dry after pressure washing, scaffolding plywood, canvas horse blankets, and Boy Scout canvas wall tents. I use a pump sprayer. It's just wax dissolved in mineral spirits. After the spirits evaporate, it just leaves the wax. It beads up water for a few years.