*Chinese* Starrett tools!

I'm not paying that money for *Chinese* Starrett tools!

I need/want to purchase a combination square. Like any other red-blooded computer-literate American I checked online to see what I was looking at by way of prices. I saw a nice one, a Starrett Combination Square Set at Grainger for $350. I nearly fell over! Then I found out that Starrett tools, ALL of them, originated in China. WTH!!!

That's right, Laroy S. Starrett, inventor of the combination square ironically, was born in China, Maine.

So there ya go. If you want to start a fight, tell a bunch of machinists their heirloom-quality Starrett tools are from China.

I found it interesting anyway, a little history for ya over morning coffee.

Rule #1...never buy anything from Grainger unless you're on a job being paid by a government contract...that's the only way you can afford to throw money down the toilet buying from Grainger.

Every once in a while it's the only place to get a "thing" that nobody else has.  Plus there's a depot here I can do a will-call from.

Rule #2...Harry J. Epstein sells blemished PEC squares for a fraction of the cost of Starrett.

Good to know, thanks!

(While I appreciate Starrett tools, there's no way I could justify buying them. I did inherit some from my Grandfather who was a tool and die maker for Lockheed.)

Rule #2...Harry J. Epstein sells blemished PEC squares for a fraction of the cost of Starrett.  I have quite a few of them and they're all good quality and dead square.  Usually there's a little void in the casting of the head.  Who cares.

Thanks for the info...

Gave up on Granger some time ago.... Every time I went in for a belt, a common tool, etc. they never once had it..... Maybe the guy was too lazy to look......Always said he could order it..... .....

Don't know what's in the back of the building, but it's not a warehouse, apparently .....

Gave up on Granger some time ago.... Every time I went in for a belt, a common tool, etc. they never once had it..... Maybe the guy was too lazy to look......Always said he could order it..... .....

Don't know what's in the back of the building, but it's not a warehouse, apparently .....

I've never just walked in. I order online and then set it for will-call. Seems to work well that way.Maybe that bypasses the apathetic person at the counter?

I've got quite a few from Epstein as well and they're great!

My wife works right across the street so I ordered and had her pick it up. She said it was a grungy old place and the guy was grumpy. Sounds like heaven to me! :)