Arm-R-Seal Question

Mike Corwin

Hi guys - I started finishing a coffee table with the Sam Maloof Poly/Oil finish but wanted a little more protection so I decided to use Arm-R-Seal after a couple coats of the Maloof.  After putting on the Arm-R-Seal, I noticed that it got tacky really quick so that when I went to wipe it off it almost seemed like wiping off drying shellac.  My first inclination was that the previous coat of Maloof hadn't dried, but I gave it 48 hours and I live in California which is fairly hot and dry.  Could this be a bad batch of finish or does this just indicate that my piece wasn't dry?  Thanks very much for the help in advance!

Despite popular belief, there is no oil in Arm-R-Seal, so you don't have the open time to rub it around and into the wood like you do with an oil/varnish blend like the Maloof stuff.  The first coat with ARS you will flood on and wipe away the excess - of which there will be little since the wood will be thirsty...unless you really drench it.  Subsequent coats need to be applied more conservatively...thin coats, wiping with the grain, and don't overwork the surface...just lay it down and move on.  If you try to go back over an area you already covered just a minute or two later, yes, it will be tacky.

All that said, it IS possible you didn't let your first coat dry long enough.  The Maloof mix has a high oil content and will take some time to dry.  At least 24 hours if not several days.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  This is the first time I've used ARS as an additional finish.  Usually in the past when I've built up all my coats with ARS I haven't noticed any tackiness issues.  Since I started with 3 coats of the Maloof Poly/Oil and then began using the ARS this time, it lead me to believe that perhaps my Maloof finish hadn't dried even though I waited 48 hours and the finish was dry to the touch and not clammy.  Would a wipe-on poly be a better option over the Maloof finish in the future?  Basically love the Maloof finish but want a bit more protection.  Thanks!

Eric, you guys know a whole lot more about finishes than I do. Don't let it go to your head as I still paint walnut. Anyway, I apply ARS with a foam brush and Never wipe it off. Is that incorrect?

No it's not necessarily incorrect.  A foam brush builds a film a little faster than I like and I think it's easier to get a consistent, thin, even coat and avoid drips and runs with a cotton cloth pad...but do whatever works for you.  I'll sometimes use a foam brush for the first coat because sloppy doesn't matter, but I switch to good ol' t-shirt scraps for subsequent coats.  I usually thin my final coat 50/50 with mineral spirits.  Lay it on nice and even and tiptoe away.

I never wipe off ARS either...but I don't apply so much that I ever need to.

Yeah, sorry.  I meant the Minwax Wipe-On Poly which I guess no one would've got since I didn't specify that  :D

Minwax Wipe-On Poly and ARS are very similar finishes.  They're both diluted varnishes.  I don't know their exact compositions, but the application techniques and overall effect are essentially the same.

Not to hijack the thread but my foam brushes say stamped on the side of them not to be used with spirit solvents or shellac. When I tried to use ARS with them they start to melt I guess through the spirit content in ARS. These are US made ones so interested to know if you guys have similar issues.

I just use them only for waterbourne finishes now.