New tool

dodgeram99

I love my Supermax 19-38, it's a beast. The 80 grit on there is ridiculously aggressive, I have a bunch of 120grit which I find to be a bit less aggressive and requiring less sanding afterwards. I usually hate changing out the paper and going 80-120-180. If you're thicknessing a highly figured wood like Bird's Eye Maple you can take off a bit more per pass with the 80 grit. No more than a 1/4 turn per pass is my usual rule of thumb for 120 grit. 180 grit I wouldn't go anymore than 1/6 - 1/8 of a turn.

A little bit of an off topic question here, sorry to hi-jack the thread:

I have the Jet 16-32 and absolutely love it.  I know that the supermax is the preferred choice for small/hobby shops.  What exactly are the differences between the two (outside of the obvious width difference and color)?  Is there something with the height adjustment, leveling adjustment, motor, etc that makes the supermax a step above the Jet sanders?  They look nearly identical on the surface to me.

Thanks!

Supermax, formerly Performax before being acquired by jet. The 1020, 16/32, 22/44 are all Performax designs and share the same tension clip method of holding the paper. The supermax versus the 16 32 isn't much in the terms of books design, both are open ended with acme screw adjustments. There are some subtle and not so subtle differences. The jet adjusts the parallel of the drum to the conveyor on the carriage, where the Supermax adjusts at the conveyor.

Also capacity, HP, better-built cantilever, ease of adjustment, and the vigor of those adjustments.  Without owning both I can't say empirically...but the consensus is the Supermax holds its calibrations much better than the Jet.  They re-engineered the machines once their contract with Jet ran out and improved the design.  Small but significant changes.