Finishing a bunch of holes?

bushwacked

I am about to apply finish on the below. How can I neatly apply and not look like a 2 year old went wild with it?

I have ARS oil base and endurovar water base finishes at my disposal. Brush or rag or foam brush?

Spraying is not an option so please don't recommend it. I know that would be perfect for this but I don't have one and no one close has one either.

0b00081bf0a04127e028137431117eda.jpg

Sorry, but I gotta recommend spraying  :P!  I know, I know...  But some food for thought (and might be worth the experiment).  Most auto stores carry what's called a Prevail (basically a self contained sprayer).  Certainly not the best quality (actually kinda sucks), but for the sake of getting the ARS applied and wiping up the excess it may save a ton of time!  ARS is thin enough that it may actually work fairly well..

Here's what I;m referring to

• Like 1

Holes like that are part end grain and part long grain in varying proportions as you go around the circle. So they will absorb finish to a different degree as you go around the hole with any sort of brushed or ragged on finish. This leads to an uneven appearance. If those are holes for something like candles then it won't matter. But if it will be prominently seen then it may be an issue. Hopefully the rattle can poly does the trick.