Chicken or the Egg? (New Shop)

Lee Bussy

Not a bad idea to hold out for better gear.  Although not all used equipment is problematic or a bad deal.  About half of the stuff in my shop is used, I just took some time to pick out the right used pieces.

On the jointer vs bandsaw question.  I've gone without a bandsaw for 2+ years in the shop, and haven't had huge issues with it.  But after mine comes in tomorrow I may wonder how the heck I ever lived without it.

I've been compiling a list of projects I want to complete, and on the whole, they require curved cuts.  Doing those with a jog saw is ... less than ideal.  If I did that then I would definitely need a stationary belt sander or other tool.  I tell myself maybe I can joint with a router (for actual edge jointing) or even a ig and a table saw, and I could flatten a piece of wood with a router and a jig, but no amount of jigging makes a band saw out of something that's not a bandsaw.  Of course there is pattern cutting with a router, but that does require you to have the curves cut/smoothed in wood already.

Come to think of it, a router is pretty durned handy.

• Like 1