All Time Favorite Tool of All Time .... for this week.

Orbb

To steal from FWW's Shop Talk Live, my All Time Favorite Tool of All Time for this week is my Wixey digital calipers, which I bought myself for my 51st birthday.  I am building the spars for a sailboat and all the measurements are in millimeters, which at 51 are impossible to see on a rule.  The big digital readout is a Godsend. 

Anyone else enamored of a new tool?

My all time favorite tool of all time this week is my new Japanese scissor pruners -C- that I got from Lee Valley. Not woodworking related...but wood related. :)

ab360s1.jpg

Those are nice...might need to get those as my current set is quite lacking and old.

I'd have to go with my scroll saw. Not because I've been doing any scrolling with it, but I find it's the perfect tool for cutting random things that I don't want to take to the mitre or table saw. I installed a heat pump last week and it was perfect for trimming the plastic covers, cutting some aluminum for brackets, cutting plastic pipe, etc. One of these days I'll stop abusing the poor thing and actually make one of those intricate projects that I supposedly bought it for.

Of course if I had a band saw, it probably wouldn't get any attention at all...

• Like 1

I started my woodworking hobby with a scroll saw and have made a BUNCH of scrolling type projects with it but I go to it for more jobs than it was intended for.

I've even made finger joints for small boxes with it and cut out large discs and holes with it when nothing else would work.

I don't think I will ever give up my scroll saw because it comes in handy for a lot of unusual cuts and different projects.

I'm currently using my third scroll saw over the last 10 to 12 years. I went from a $100.00 Tradesman to a $200.00 Delta to the current $500.00 De Walt.

Rog

• Like 2

I have to go with my Rockwell Sonicrafter. I have the battery powered unit and it has paid for itself time and again. Of course I got it for Christmas from my wife and figured I'd never use it. The sander attachment is amazing. I use it for shaping places the router bit won't go and in tight quarters. If you've never used one you ought to try it. It eats wood and is easy to control.

I would have to say a plane that I picked up from an antique store last week. I was going in there looking for the usual suspect a Stanley Bailey plane. Maybe one day I will come across a number two or even a number one. When I saw this guy ec42b1f2e8bd46aedf2ce645b73cf221.jpg79fc64279589d67d93ea4b8c976e6a5a.jpg I thought that is an interesting design that I have never seen before. For thirty bucks what the heck. Fixed her up 8f55e71b80239f7584760da5367454aa.jpg736429ef69c00c814635d29220729e95.jpg I even caught myself grabbing it before my #4. That has never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would have to say a plane that I picked up from an antique store last week. I was going in there looking for the usual suspect a Stanley Bailey plane. Maybe one day I will come across a number two or even a number one. When I saw this guy ec42b1f2e8bd46aedf2ce645b73cf221.jpg79fc64279589d67d93ea4b8c976e6a5a.jpg I thought that is an interesting design that I have never seen before. For thirty bucks what the heck. Fixed her up 8f55e71b80239f7584760da5367454aa.jpg736429ef69c00c814635d29220729e95.jpg I even caught myself grabbing it before my #4. That has never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mighty fine restor job!

• Like 1