Frustrated want to be wood worker

hardmat

Hi, my name is Tim Hardman and I live near Columbus, OH in a small town called Newark, 30 miles east of Columbus.

I got the wood working bug about 10 years ago and had some primitive power tools and made some decent pieces considering the equipment.

Then I decided finally I was going to take the big plunge.  I hired a carpenter to work with me building a 2.5 car garage at my home in Allentown, PA as a dedicated workshop.  While we worked on that I went on a buying spree from Woodcraft and started piling up the tools for a complete shop in my other two car garage while the cars sat on the street.  Once the workshop was watertight I moved everything into it and started unpacking.  Then I got a call from the boss telling me I've been transferred to Ohio and have 2 months to complete the move.  Ended up with a house in Ohio with 2 car garage (no room for a workshop) but a big basement.  However narrow hallways and a 90 degree turn on the steps into the basement would not allow me to get the big power tools into the basement.  My plan was to excavate on the side of the house (hill side) and build a large door into the basement but I could not get a variance from the city to do this due to proximity of the neighbors lot line and neighborhood covenants and uncooperative neighbors etc..  Uhgg!!

I bought all these power tools in 2008 and have yet to the flip the "on" switch on any of them.  The wife has been relentless with her (suggestions) to get rid of them as they take up space in the garage and have no use.  I have fought off her argument for 6 years and now given in to reality.  I'll have to let the dream go for later on in life and storing all this equipment for another 5 - 10 - 15 years just doesn't make sense.  I will list the tools in the "marketplace" area and would also appreciate suggestions from you guys on how to go about selling all of these New tools that are 6 years old.  Do you think I have a chance of selling them as a complete package?  What price is reasonable to ask...50 cents on the dollar, 75 cents on the dollar?  I need to find a guy right now who was just like me 10 years ago.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

All the tools were bought at Woodcraft, I'll put a compete list in marketplace in the next day but as a starter here's some of what I have.  Rikon 18" Band Saw, Delta X5 Unisaw w/Biesmeyer fence, Jet spindle sander floor machine, Jet 15" Planner, Powermatic 8" Jointer, Jet 42" variable speed lathe, Delta Drill Press, Jet combo belt/disc sander, etc...most on Fox Shop mobile stands.

If you or anyone you know is looking to take the plunge in power tools this could be smoking deal for them.

Thanks for reading this and send any interested parties my way please.

Tim

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums Tim.

I'm sure you'll find buyers for the stuff.  Suggest doing to research to see what that stuff is going for in your area.

You'll also need to list what items you'll ship and what items need to be a "local" pick up.

Good luck!

If they truly have never been turned on, it wouldn't be unreasonable IMO to ask 75% of retail.  At least that's where I'd start...maybe even higher since craigslist rats are nasty lowballing creatures.  You should be able to get top dollar for a few of them...the PM jointer should be an easy sell.  Might have a little more trouble with something like the Rikon bandsaw...you'll sell it but I would expect to take a bit of a raping on that.  Delta and Jet will be somewhere in between.

Have you considered just taking over the garage and pursuing your dream?  Garages are not for cars when a woodworker lives in the house.  Sounds pretty unfair of your wife to hold you back like that.  Guess everyone has a different level of tolerance for that kind of thing.  I'd be packing my bags and saying adios...you're supposed to support each other.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the "you must move!" situation, however unless you and your wife drive Lamborghinis, I'd be just fine with both cars being parked on the street. Maybe show her some stuff that people have made here and get her to want you to make something for the house or for her. Maybe it'll help persuade her to realized that garages aren't made for cars.

Thanks for the sympathy and humor but it's all got to go.  I'm going to start with Craigs List but if you know of any other sites that are more specific to selling woodworking tools I'd sure appreciate the info.  Also, I'm not going to get involved with shipping anything.  Any buyer needs to come here and pick it up.  I'm willing to take half the new price if I can sell it all in a package.  And yes, none of it has ever been used.  Most of these machines came without plugs on the power line so there are still just the wires sticking out of the power cord.

There is very light surface oxidation on the horizontal surfaces but the two cast iron table extensions on the table saw have considerable rust.  One of them for sure will need to be milled to resurface it but if I were buying I'd do both.

Help me out please and spread the word to all and any you know - thanks again and hope some day to be more than just a tool collector and real wood worker.

Definitely post your offerings here.  Be sure to include your location, lots of pictures, and details.  And your asking price.  Don't expect people to make the first offer unless you're ready to be disappointed.  You might be surprised how much you can sell on this forum...depending on your location.  We know you're in Ohio but we don't know if you're in the suburbs of Columbus or Cincinnati or out in the sticks.  If you're in a metro area you should be able to unload everything fairly quickly if you price your stuff right.

You said your new house has a 2 car garage but no room for a shop? Whats up with that? Cars dont belong in a garage....

Also, if it were me i would take down a wall or reconfigure the staircase to make it straight or rip out the staircase and hoist everythibg down. Where theres a will theres a way. You have the tools, you have the space and you have the desire. With a little ingenuity and alot of ignoring your wife you will be woodworking before you know it. Dont sell your tools. And one last thing, DONT SELL YOUR TOOLS.!!

• Like 1

Moving away from the big shop build must have hurt.

However, I've just moved into a house with no garage and no basement. My new shop is 48sqft!

If I can make a go of it - It sounds like you have more than enough space to find a solution.

And Shane is the perfect guy to give you that advice...he sold all his tools a few years ago...then just recently spent his kids' college funds to buy them all back. LOL

Don't do what he did. :D

Lol. You are correct sir. I definitely learned my lesson and will die with these tools. I did go buck wild on tool purchases and ya maybe my kids wont get any post secondary edumacation but dang im a happy man. And another thing, ive got too many kids to afford to put them all through school so i did the noble thing. Instead of being bias and just sending one or two to school i blew it all on tools.

College and university here in quebec is practically free so we dont really have to save up. Thats the real story

• Like 1

tim  here is my advise everything is on wheels so what you do is have table saw, bandsaw, jointer planer in garage on one side of 2 car garage.  you wife gets the other side.  then have everything else in the basement.  or change your aproach to wood working instead of making huge furniture you instead make scroll saw work, take up carving, buy a lathe and put it in your basement.  i worked the last 5 years with a 14 inch bandsaw and scroll saw and carving bench in a 10x10  corner of the basement and my lathe in a shed across town and in the 5 years i became fairly proficient with the lathe and have made enough money to buy all the tools i want now that i have a garage. a lathe just need the space a dressor takes up and carving tools can be stored in a tackle box in the closet.  remember the tools dont make the wood worker you can make wonderful projects without tons of tools. 

• Like 1

Tim, I understand not wanting to take over the garage (or maybe your neighborhood doesn't allow driveway parking?)

Anyway, if you choose to, you can do a decent amount of woodwork in very little space. I work in a 24 x 36 foot garage, but 2 cars park in it as well. I can do hand tool work, and a surprising amount of power tool work, all without moving anything. If I'm making a lot of dust, or need the extra space for working with large stock, the cars got out, but only until the end of the day. I waited too long to GET a warm, dry place to park and unload the groceries, I'm not about to give it up now!

Honestly, I'd prefer if my basement was unfinished (and I had a door in the basement) to make that my workshop. There's more space down there than there is in the garage, and I wouldn't have had to run so many wires and heat, ac, etc. I'd take advantage of that basement. I have the same lathe you have, and it's 3 pieces. the bed can be carried vertically, an the legs aren't that wide that you can't get it downstairs. the only tools you'd have an issue getting downstairs is the jointer, unless you take off the beds. 

If YOU want to sell, that's great sell, post a link because I am less than 2 hours from you. If you do not want too sell, getting that stuff in the basment, even if a wall must be removed and replaced, is less work than building an exterior entrance to your basment, I know I replace basment walls all the time. All my stuff is in my basment and I built a 4x8 platform lift to get it and the motorcycles from the garage too the basment. If your wife is not with you on somthing you want to do you bought her far to much house and not enough man cave, and that's coming from a guy that has managed to stay married 26 years.