Year round comfort, New addition.

Tom Cancelleri

Got my a.c. for the shop. 14000 btu portable a.c. from honeywell. Picked up some stuff at home depot yesterday for a thru wall install. Used a 6 3/8 carbide hole saw and went to work. Hit a stud due to poor planning on my part. Not a problem, sawzall and chisel to clean the part of the stud that was in the way.

Outside

06451f568d9ca419527b1f73d0d605d6.jpg

Inside... Die yard tools! Seriously it's shed time.

9c00781a988f4d718f9101a5f818c3d5.jpg

Temp testing

853ade649f12d9948a5f2dca626f1bb6.jpg

Honeywell! Just don't loose the operating manual. I've been searching here and the net for the one to our digital thermostat to our central a/c unit. It seems that we pushed a button by mistake and don't know how to correct it. No where to be found. Whatever happened to the old reliable Mercury switch?

Oh, back to you Tom, congrats on your new, cool acquisition!

Honeywell! Just don't loose the operating manual. I've been searching here and the net for the one to our digital thermostat to our central a/c unit. It seems that we pushed a button by mistake and don't know how to correct it. No where to be found. Whatever happened to the old reliable Mercury switch?

Oh, back to you Tom, congrats on your new, cool acquisition!

Digital thermostats without a phone app or friendly interface boggle my mind. As for thermostats, the Nest is an incredibly easy to use and configure thermostat. 

Out of curiosity, what would one of those set a guy back, if you don't mind me asking, of course. I assume it heats by the title "year round" :)

This one actually only cools. I have a  5600 BTU heater in the ceiling that keeps the shop nice and warm. With this however I have year round comfort. The unit was on sale at best buy during their memorial day appliance sale and was $467 free shipping and then tax so in total just under $500. Paid about 20 bucks for the 6" to 5" reducer at home depot and then 15 for the vent cap, I had the caulk/silicone for the cap. 

It's now been running for 3.5 hours and it's 72 degrees in the shop and it's at 45% relative humidity, it's currently 86 degrees outside. It's actually really comfortable and it's almost a completely smooth transition from inside the house to the shop. I do need to make a cover to fill over the 6" hole on the inside wall since I had to put in a reducer and didn't have a 5" hole saw. I've got some cherry I just bookmatched and cut up and glued to make a little wall plate. with a 5" hole. I'll chamfer the edges, recess some screws and put it on. Should look good when I'm done.

This one actually only cools. I have a 5600 BTU heater in the ceiling that keeps the shop nice and warm. With this however I have year round comfort. The unit was on sale at best buy during their memorial day appliance sale and was $467 free shipping and then tax so in total just under $500. Paid about 20 bucks for the 6" to 5" reducer at home depot and then 15 for the vent cap, I had the caulk/silicone for the cap.

It's now been running for 3.5 hours and it's 72 degrees in the shop and it's at 45% relative humidity, it's currently 86 degrees outside. It's actually really comfortable and it's almost a completely smooth transition from inside the house to the shop. I do need to make a cover to fill over the 6" hole on the inside wall since I had to put in a reducer and didn't have a 5" hole saw. I've got some cherry I just bookmatched and cut up and glued to make a little wall plate. with a 5" hole. I'll chamfer the edges, recess some screws and put it on. Should look good when I'm done.

well poop. I need something that heats to, actually I really need a heater. I have a kerosene heater but I don't much like the idea of 1) open flame in a wood shop and 2) carbon monoxide poisoning. The search continues :)

well poop. I need something that heats to, actually I really need a heater. I have a kerosene heater but I don't much like the idea of 1) open flame in a wood shop and 2) carbon monoxide poisoning. The search continues :)

They make a version of it that has heat. It's the same as the one I have only with 12,000 BTU heat pump.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23091467?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227017133036&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40873439792&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78766143752&veh=sem

• 2 weeks later...

It was 97 degrees outside yesterday. Inside the shop was 69.4 degrees. Today was 95 degrees and 71 in the shop. Humidity is still a bit higher than I'd like it, hovering around 53%. I need to make some more changes to the airflow in the shop. Perhaps help distribute the air from the A.C. a little better. Once the airflow is more dialed in, it should make a huge difference. I might add a dedicated dehumidifier to help the AC get that humidity down even more. I also need to add some white foam to the glass of the garage door to add to the insulation level and prevent that afternoon sun from heating the shop even more. 

I did finally finish the piece for around the exhaust hose. Some leftover cherry from when I milled my end cap. I bookmatched those two pieces, cut a 5 1/8" hole with my dremel and circle cutter with 1/8" down cut spiral (took forever!) Chamfered the inside of the hole, and the edges. Cut a recess for the screw heads with a 1/2" forstner bit. Drilled a 1/4" hole. Sanded to 120 (it's shop stuff) and coated with danish oil. Put some anchors in the wall and installed with matching screws for the anchors. Quick little project.

11111621_10155713832855790_5224369794872