jet 10-20 plus drum sander

duckkisser

found this sander on craigslist the guy wants 450 for it.  is it worth buying or should i just wait and buy a larger machine? a friend of mine has a larger machine in case i need something big sanded i figure it will get the most use as a sanding for segments on my lathe. my lathe is only up to 12 inches so  small sander like this might be ideal. 

It's really hard to get the paper in perfectly.  It usually sticks out a little bit where it goes into the clamp on the right side so I try to avoid the rightmost inch since it will usually sand deeper over there, wear out the paper that is sticking out and start burning the wood.  So I think of it as a 9" not a 10" and I'd probably think of the 16" as a 15".  Most of what I run through it is 7" so it works for me but you'll definitely wish it was wider on a regular basis.  The advantage of buying used is some other schmuck has already gone through the initial hassle of getting the belt to track properly.

I have this machine and had one at the school I previously taught at.  Keep a close eye on the threads of the main height adjustment screw.  The students were a little less than nice to the machine at school and managed to strip the threads out of the housing and dropped the sanding head onto the deck.  As I am sure you, or any other adult would be a little bit more kind to their shop tools than a group of teenagers, it should be great for you.  

My advise is keep a dilligent eye on the paper as it is a little more finicky to get on correctly and keep tight than on some of the larger machines.  Also, I personally, have found it worth purchasing the Jet paper designed for the sander.  Cutting my own turned out to be an exercise in futillity.  Keep a moderate feed rate and a light cut, or sand and it should be a great addition to your shop and a true time saver. 

Good dust collection is a must to keep the paper clean, I noticed that adding a seal to the seam on the back panel just above the dust port helped to keep dust under control a little better. 

Enjoy your new tool and update us on your experience.

ok i ended up buying that sander today need to set up a stand for it but its basically ready to go. hope i have a use for it and havent just wasted a bunch of my money.

In a month, come back and tell us all the used you have found for it. I'm sure the length will be substantial.

Probably won't get a lot of use I'm remodeling my house so I don't know that I will have much call for a sander like this for painting walls and installing floor boards ect..... But I figure that by the end of summer I should be in good shape.