Rockwell RT40

socoj2

That's a huge saw, 14" blade ! New single phase motor won't be cheap but at that price you might still come out ahead. Check on the motor mount, if it's not universal an adapter plate or special order motor may be needed.

Not a project for someone unfamiliar with working on machinery.

That's a huge saw, 14" blade ! New single phase motor won't be cheap but at that price you might still come out ahead. Check on the motor mount, if it's not universal an adapter plate or special order motor may be needed.

Not a project for someone unfamiliar with working on machinery.

I have no problem working on machinery or Fabricating metal parts its the wood i know nothing about =)

So i bought the saw. Over all its in good condition but disassembled the only issue im going to have is finding a new bearing housing. This one is cast steel and where it is broken at several times is not weldable =/

So any idea where i can find one vs having one made?

==>^^^

+2

The RT-40 exists in several iterations – I’ve downloaded the manual for a several versions and the arbor assembly differs – so can’t be much help... When you say ‘bearing housing’ are you referring to an integral ‘bearing arm’ where the machined housing is milled into a recess in the arm assembly (typically newer saws) or a two-piece assembly where the machined bearing housing is bolted (typically three bolts) to the arm assembly (typically older saws)?

The integral arm assemblies are fairly easy to find, but kind of expensive... The two piece assemblies are much cheaper, but harder to find...

I would download the manual for your saw and get familiar with the components prior to calling...

Yup, that’s the two piece unit... Send the photo to the saw center guys – see what they say... Who knows, they may have one in stock or know where to get one...

If the housing itself is intact (only the mounting flanges are damamged), there are folks who can fix this sort of thing, but it’s a specialty -- some sort of brazing operation? I suppose a machinist could remove the mounting flange, make a new one and affix the bearing housing...

Anyway, see what the pros can do for you...

Not sure it has to be perfect... Would think that as long as the machined surfaces of the housing are AOK, wouldn’t close be close enough? If a new flange were attached to the housing, as long as it’s perpendicular to the axis of rotation, is the exact position of the shaft relative to the trunnion all that important? Close, sure – but a few thou here or there?

Don’t know... I’ve never worked on that particular arbor assembly, but the bolt positioning may give one enough play to shim it close... Again, don’t know... Just throwing some ideas in case they tell you it’s not possible to get a new housing... You could always have one made.... But it would be cheaper to get another saw for parts... Questions for the pros...

• 3 weeks later...

These things usually sell pretty inexpensively. One sold in a local auction for $250 a few months ago. So cheap, but I don't think I would get it through the man door from my garage into my basement. Its impressive to compare these saws to a cabinet saw, which is what most guys think of as an "industrial/professional" saw. Nope, they look like toys next to these bigger saws.

Forgot, I want to hear about the recreation of the part. Who did you find to do that, and how did that conversation go? I would assume 9/10 people would tell you to go fly a kite when you ask them to recreate that part.

Edited by Pwk5017

==>Got a replacement part made for $170.

That's a pretty good deal for a one-off setup...

It's going to be a nice saw... Is it the 14" or 16" version?

It came with a 12" Carbide blade in great shape, surprisingly, Who ever was using it was cutting aluminum with it. Im going to be running it with VFD so with the carbide blade i should be able to do some light sheet metal work with it as well.

but im going to get a 16" wood blade.

I saw one recently also. It sold for $600 to a scrap guy

There is enough copper in the 3 phase motor to get $600. just the cast iron i believe would be $600.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. so i ALMOST have this whole thing torn down and ready to go to the pressure washer to the blasting to powder coat.

Another month before its back and ready to assemble but i have all the pieces i need now. Friend of mine even had a bunch of 14" blades he is no longer using! SCORE!

• 1 month later...