SoCal Lumber Yards?

ResidentEvil

Looking for recommendations for lumber yards in Southern California.  Wife and I are going to be down there this weekend, and I'm looking for a lumber yard or two to visit while we're down there.

We will be in the Orange/Newport Beach areas, so I'm planning on hitting up Rockler and Woodcraft as well as Austin Hardwood and Hardware.

I'd like to find a place that has a good variety of woods, especially exotics.  And of course they'd have to be open on Saturday at least or possibly sunday.

Any recommendations?

The most awesome thing about this is that it was the wife's idea to take a weekend trip and go down there to check out the lumber yards.

When i started doing craft shows and festivals, she was poking through my scrap pile one day and asked if she could use some of the scrap to make something. I said sure and it ended up with us making a set of end grain drink coasters together. Since then she is completely obsessed, and can't wait to go out to the shop with me and make coasters. She pushes me to make projects with exotic woods just so I have some cut offs that look cool to incorporate into her coasters.

Funny thing is that her coasters sell better than anything else I make, and they don't cost me anything other than time and consumable materials.

Glad to help.  I can recommend a breakfast place in Encinitas too, if you're interested.

Also, check out Solana Beach while you're down there.  I'd really like to know what became of Cut & Dried Hardwood, but that's what I get for leaving the country for a few years.  There are parts of SoCal I really miss...

Saturday until1PM. Take the ride, it's worth it:

http://www.tehwoods.com

This was our first stop today, as it seemed to be exactly what we were looking for.  It didn't disappoint at all.  The employees were very very helpful and nice, the warehouse was clean and uncluttered, many of the boards had prices marked directly on them, and the prices were reasonable for exotic woods.

I grabbed a very nice piece of 8/4 Bubinga about 4' long and 8" wide.  A nice 8/4 piece of Bloodwood about 7' long and 8" wide.  And several turning blanks.  We also sifted through the scrap cutoff bins, at $2.50/lb, and came away with about 16lbs of nice small pieces we can use for various things.

Will definitely be going back there in the future.

We didn't make it to this one before closing time unfortunately.  Did manage to make my first in person visit to Woodcraft and Rockler.  Both were ok, but if felt like I was just walking around in the magazine.

Bohnhoff lumber. Good family. Also Saroyan Lumber. Stratta Wood Products. I was treated like crap at Penn Forest and will never step in. Try also Peterman Lumber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind for the next trip down.  Except for Peterman, we have them here in Vegas.

Bohnhoff lumber. Good family. Also Saroyan Lumber. Stratta Wood Products. I was treated like crap at Penn Forest and will never step in. Try also Peterman Lumber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bonhoff is great for Hand picking from hundreds of bf. They stock a lot of great domestics. Not too much on the exotic side. They also have squirly hours. I think the lumber yard closes at 3 on weekdays