Made the Gary Rogowski jewelry box

kevin0611

That turned out really nice! What color are you thinking about for the interior lining?

Thanks. I'm thinking about a beige velvet or microsuede. I think it would be a nice complement to the walnut. Green is popular, I guess, but it feels a little too "pool table-ish" for my taste.

Will probably get it from Rockler (they sell a self-adhesive velvet) though I hate their prices. Just waiting for one of those coupons they email me about 40x a month :)

I do wish I lined it before glue-up. I got impatient and I'm sure I'll be cursing as I try to cut it to exact size.

Have you considered flocking? I've used it a couple times, a kit from flockit.com. Very simple and gets all the nooks and crannies.

That looks like a possibility. Thanks for the link. Didn't know it came in that many colors.

Nice work. Good idea about getting stop hinges next time. Brusso stop hinges are expensive but well worth the cost.

I got the Brusso hinges Marc linked to in the podcast write-up. Wish he used stop hinges! Even the standard Brusso hinges were expensive. They're nice and heavy but wow, with shipping they were almost $50.00.

Looks really nice. Well done

I used velvet from rocker when I made mine.

My box wasn't exactly square so my edges required a bit of finessing and edge clean up. I'd love to see a good tutorial on velvet lined bottoms....in sure somebody figured out a good method for a perfect fit by now. Once the thing gets full of crap anyway...you can't even notice some of the 'patchwork' on the edges.

SIX coats of Waterlox???? Does it smell like an airplane hanger? :).

Curious as to why you sanded between coats...I thought the whole give/take with Waterlox is the fact that you don't sand it? (The downside being the very long gas off period).

SIX coats of Waterlox???? Does it smell like an airplane hanger? :).

Curious as to why you sanded between coats...I thought the whole give/take with Waterlox is the fact that you don't sand it? (The downside being the very long gas off period).

It's been about six days and the stink is finally starting to go away!

i finished it the way I did by sort of combining techniques from a Fine Woodworking article on Waterlox (http://www.waterlox.com/uploads/docs/4.11%20Wiping%20Varnish_The%20Only%20Finish%20You%27ll%20Ever%20Need_FWW__634474589121325461.pdf) and the podcast video of this build. In hindsight, I don't think dry sanding between the first two coats was necessary but it certainly didn't hurt. Rubbing it out with steel wool towards the end definitely gave me a smoother finish though.

• Like 1