Still learning to spray

trz

I'm spraying a bookcase 86x39x12" deep.

With shellac, so, I've got it lying across a couple sawhorses.

Spraying it lengthwise I'm assuming is the proper way rather than taking lots of back and forth passes across the 12" depth.

Do you try to make one lonnngg smoth pass without stopping or do half the length and move down and do the rest?

I tried to do the whole length but find im not so smooth while moving my feet along .is that just a matter of practice or can you do half the length at a time?

Also, (I'm lazy) if I'm going to recoat in an hour or two should I clean the gun or can I just spray some DNA through it and leave it?

Remove back from bookcase before spraying to avoid bounceback. Spray back separately... Can't remove back --- then you didn't build the piece with finishing in mind... :)

Start flow before the piece, continue at a constant distance and angle of attack while traveling along the piece and discontinue spray after the piece -- at no point, stop while fan is directed towards the finished surface.

When stopping between coats, dip rag in solvent and affix over nozzle to keep tip wet. I use a large rubber band.

Good luck.

Spraying back seperatly, starting stopping off the work and spraying length without stopping and moving down the work and starting again so, it sounds like I'm pretty much doing it right, just need to keep practicing.

Still not exactly sure I have the gun adjusted just right but......

I think im not getting good atomizing in the middle part of tje fan pattern. Need to play with adjustments some more I guess.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

==>not getting good atomizing in the middle part of tje fan pattern

Check the aircap, needle and tip for any clogs, rough spots, dirt, rust... anything.... even the smallest non-uniformity can cause issues. Make sure you double-check the small holes in the aircap... These form the fan...

Never having used shellac before, I'm wondering how smooth the finish should be!

Shooting maple plywood. Started out lightly sanding with 220, sprayed one coat let it dry a couple hours lightly sanded again with 220 and sprayed a second coat.

It feels a (little) rough!