A garage shop is coming!

bushwacked

We closing on our new (to us) house Monday. Today we went through and walked the property taking measurements. This is what I'll be working with on the garage.

a264d75d82e58d7b259f471b7215ac9c.jpg

That is the 20'8" wall.

283398af79c2858a21a906789adb3bca.jpg

This is the 19'3" wall.

ef91f52c1edcaec441b2b4fe72fe3f58.jpg

This is the 13'3" section

75b6e79bcd0ede76f07d0d948b465510.jpg

The lighting is bad so I will be adding more. Most likely 3 rows 2 columns of 6 light sections total with the dual fluorescent light bulb boxes.

I will be measuring and drawing a CAD sketch of where I think things should be going sometime in the next few days.

On the 13'3" section that wall will be brought up even with the rest of the wall because we are putting in a mud room and stuff there.

I am thinking the 20'8" wall I will put all the main shelving and cabinets.

Over the next month or so I will be posting the shop build and some house reno pics too since it deals with wood

• Like 1

Congratz on the new shop and that house thing they trew in with it.

A friend of mine just bought a house and I would bet my paycheck that a woodworker owned it before him. Has a garage with plugs everywhere 3 220 outlets, heated, cooled, and has plywood walls instead of drywall. The reason I mention it here is because you said you needed more light and this garage has one wall that has two sets of florescent lights set vertically in the wall. When I saw it I though it would be perfect for raking light and it lights up the area at about bench height perfectly. When I get a "real" shop I will definitely be trying it.

Congratz on the new shop and that house thing they trew in with it.

A friend of mine just bought a house and I would bet my paycheck that a woodworker owned it before him. Has a garage with plugs everywhere 3 220 outlets, heated, cooled, and has plywood walls instead of drywall. The reason I mention it here is because you said you needed more light and this garage has one wall that has two sets of florescent lights set vertically in the wall. When I saw it I though it would be perfect for raking light and it lights up the area at about bench height perfectly. When I get a "real" shop I will definitely be trying it.

Uh... how close does said friend live? I would let him park his cars in my garage in exchange for shop space. I'm just saying...

Uh... how close does said friend live? I would let him park his cars in my garage in exchange for shop space. I'm just saying...

I asked him to trade houses with me. He quickly declined.

Worst part is he is not handy at all. I think he contracts out changing light bulbs. So the space will not be used up to it's potential.

If the space works, I would switch the TS with the Jointer/Planer.  Put the outfeed towards the garage door so that you can easily do a 180 and grab stuff off the counter (assuming on your cabinet wall you will have counter space).  Then take the jointer/planer and rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, hopefully with enough room to walk between the planer and the garage door.

The way it's set up now looks like you will have to have your garage door open any time you use the TS.  Maybe you always work with the door open, then its a moot point, but I don't and having to open the door anytime I want to use the TS would drive me nuts.  It also seems as though you will be doing a lot of walking back and forth from your cabinets all the way around to your TS.

In my shop I have a bench/cabinets on the same wall as yours, and the TS backs up to it.  Its handy to be able to do a 180 to grab pieces and be right back at the TS.  My bench is just below TS level, and there is just enough room to cut a sheet of 8' ply longwise and the bench allows me to rest the ply on it when lining up for a cut.

Just my .02

How ever you lay it out, I would ensure that you have plenty of infeed and outfeed for the table saw.  As you have it in that picture, you look a little close to that wall.

Also, what other large tools/items need to be in the space?  Drill press, drum sander, belt/disc sander ???

If the space works, I would switch the TS with the Jointer/Planer. Put the outfeed towards the garage door so that you can easily do a 180 and grab stuff off the counter (assuming on your cabinet wall you will have counter space). Then take the jointer/planer and rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, hopefully with enough room to walk between the planer and the garage door.

The way it's set up now looks like you will have to have your garage door open any time you use the TS. Maybe you always work with the door open, then its a moot point, but I don't and having to open the door anytime I want to use the TS would drive me nuts. It also seems as though you will be doing a lot of walking back and forth from your cabinets all the way around to your TS.

In my shop I have a bench/cabinets on the same wall as yours, and the TS backs up to it. Its handy to be able to do a 180 to grab pieces and be right back at the TS. My bench is just below TS level, and there is just enough room to cut a sheet of 8' ply longwise and the bench allows me to rest the ply on it when lining up for a cut.

Just my .02

I am not opposed to working with my door open but I do want to rethink that position for the cold months that would suck. I may move it to a more central location to see if that helps. When I'm cutting on the tablesaw I don't do much moving. What are you having to grab on your cabinet area so much?

How ever you lay it out, I would ensure that you have plenty of infeed and outfeed for the table saw. As you have it in that picture, you look a little close to that wall.

Also, what other large tools/items need to be in the space? Drill press, drum sander, belt/disc sander ???

I will take some more measurements and see how much space I have on the right side of the tablesaw before the wall to make sure it would fit.

Other big'wish tools would be the drill press, bandsaw rigid oscillating spindle sander and a workbench once I move in and get the shop sorted out. Miter saw as well but I think I'm going to store that unless it's in use. Don't think I will use enough to justify a huge counter space/wall dedicated to it ... I don't know though.

I am not opposed to working with my door open but I do want to rethink that position for the cold months that would suck. I may move it to a more central location to see if that helps. When I'm cutting on the tablesaw I don't do much moving. What are you having to grab on your cabinet area so much?

I will take some more measurements and see how much space I have on the right side of the tablesaw before the wall to make sure it would fit.

Other big'wish tools would be the drill press, bandsaw rigid oscillating spindle sander and a workbench once I move in and get the shop sorted out. Miter saw as well but I think I'm going to store that unless it's in use. Don't think I will use enough to justify a huge counter space/wall dedicated to it ... I don't know though.

On having enough infeed/outfeed room, just measure from the front of the blade to the big door and make sure it's just a little over 8 feet.  Should be plenty of room for most operations.

As for the miter saw, well that will depend on your work flow.  I use mine all the time and really can't imagine my shop without it.  There's lots of ways to set it up tho.

On having enough infeed/outfeed room, just measure from the front of the blade to the big door and make sure it's just a little over 8 feet. Should be plenty of room for most operations.

As for the miter saw, well that will depend on your work flow. I use mine all the time and really can't imagine my shop without it. There's lots of ways to set it up tho.

Ok I will work that out in the drawing and see what that will give me.

I just got the miter saw for my bday last month. I have not even opened it cause I wanted to wait till the garage shop was ready. So I have been doing things without since I started woodworking. I'm sure once I start using it I will never stop but we shall see how I can tie it into the flow