Anybody work roots?

Tpt life

I have read very little about root wood except from whittlers. This punky stump I dug out of a planting bed was likely arbor vitae or yew. I just got curious how deep the punk ran as it was not rotting in the pattern of above grade wood. As I ran my jack across it, I could see appealing patterns. I know embedded rock might be a concern, but a root slab might have appealing figure. Is it stable? Gravity places stresses on above grade branches, what about soil supported branches? Would crotches have less internal stress? The smaller volume of root material might limit the scale to small boxes and I doubt there would be any practicality behind the pursuit. I am simply curious.

post-9382-0-71554700-1433641268_thumb.jp

post-9382-0-01831700-1433641286_thumb.jp

A root SLAB, yeah...could definitely be worth effort.  Little pieces like that...not sure what it would be good for...knife scales?

I'm reading Nakashima's book at the moment and he's mentioned root wood in a positive way on several occasions.  If he goes into depth about it I'll let you know.  I'm getting through the book slowly...it's next to my throne so only a few pages per day. ^_^

• Like 1

A root SLAB, yeah...could definitely be worth effort.  Little pieces like that...not sure what it would be good for...knife scales?

I'm reading Nakashima's book at the moment and he's mentioned root wood in a positive way on several occasions.  If he goes into depth about it I'll let you know.  I'm getting through the book slowly...it's next to my throne so only a few pages per day. ^_^

I see what you did there...

A root SLAB, yeah...could definitely be worth effort. Little pieces like that...not sure what it would be good for...knife scales?

I'm reading Nakashima's book at the moment and he's mentioned root wood in a positive way on several occasions. If he goes into depth about it I'll let you know. I'm getting through the book slowly...it's next to my throne so only a few pages per day. ^_^

you should eat more veggies then, your colon will thank you, and you'll get your book done quicker :D

Those air pockets will be par for the course when slicing through a root wad.  Think of the way roots grow...they're like tentacles until they swell so large that they fuse themselves together into a single mass.  You're also likely to find a ton of blade-dulling debris within the wood since the roots encapsulate the earth around them as they grow.  In my opinion working with roots wouldn't be worth all the headaches involved unless you somehow acquired a huge awesome chunk of something...or whittled a little nugget like Carus had.

Here's an example of a Nakashima root slab table.  Since he frequently harvested wood from his own property, he had access to material that most of us will never have access to...

nakashima-coffee-table-ming.jpg