Contrasting Woods

Tyler Treat

Straight grained redwood, maybe? Often the contrast in grain pattern creates enough visual impact. If you want more of a color contrast, my personal feeling would be to lean toward a darker wood. I'm not that familiar with how redwood ages, but keep color changes over time in mind.

• Like 1

Wenge, rift or quartersawn.  Hard maple, clear and straight-grained.  Either way, darker or lighter, it should not have much visual interest since you want the curly wood to be the star of the show.

BTW...it's an APRON, not a skirt. B)

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums Tyler.  I agree with the above that you don't want it competing with the top..  If you want to go dark Peruvian Walnut would be a good choice.  Not as dark as the wenge but, not nearly as expensive either..

Good luck, we look forward to seeing it.

• 1 month later...

thanks for the suggestions guys. been busy with a move. but how about ash? would that be a viable light contrast?

The color would be fine, but ash has fairly prominent grain that I think would serve as a distraction from the top. I'd suggest maple or birch (may not find in solid lumber) if you want to go light.

The color would be fine, but ash has fairly prominent grain that I think would serve as a distraction from the top. I'd suggest maple or birch (may not find in solid lumber) if you want to go light.

i like the maple idea. i might go for that. maybe laminate several together for the legs.