Soo.. Just throwing this out...

Brendon_t

In this era (slash on this site especially I'm sure since it was a guild build) it seems like THE bench to build is a Roubo type with BC hardware. Power tool guys, knuckle dragger types, slashie'ies.. They all love the Roubo.
My question is, are there any other popular style benches, maybe that other communities build that plans are readily available for?
I really like the style and functionality of the Roubo, but I want to make sure before I drop 2 grand into it that I wasn't missing something. I've spent HOURS searching the "gargle" and it comes up with a lot of cheaper looking styles from 2x4's to home center syp.

Ask Graham about the Nicholson. Ask Llama about a Shaker if he finishes. Google cheap Roubo and find every version including bowling lane floor or laminated plywood. I would refer you to a Scwarz discussion, but I am not sure what video was pirated...

In the end it just doesn't matter... As long as a bench accomplishes what it needs to be a bench, it's going to be ok. There is far too much written about workbenches. I bought almost every book in my search for the perfect one. In the end, only you can determine what you need.

The truth is I built (building) a Shaker workbench because of two reasons. I like their style, and everyone else (Graham excluded) seems to be building a damn Roubo. 

• Like 1

I am hoping someone can reference the Schwarz discussion because I do not want to type it out. It was nuts and bolts simple with the basic functions a bench needs to perform. The video I watched and linked here got flagged as pirated content posted to YouTube inappropriately. Ultimately I agree with Mel's assessment and will build what I dang well please just because I want to and understand what it needs to do for me to function well.

• Like 1

A workbench needs to accomplish 2 things. First, provide a platform at a comfortable working height for your working style. Second, allow work pieces to be anchored solidly against the force applied by your tools. Generally, a power tool workflow does not require as heavy a working surface as is needed for hand tool work. Frankly, I like the 'joinery bench' that Shannon Rogers has in his shop. It is a good size for chopping dovetails and such by hand, especially if most of your work is with machines. A light and portable worktable is good for infeed / outfeed to machines, and assembly of the project.

Thanks for the input all. Like fretless said, there is just Wayy too much info out there about benches. I have read a lof of mr schwartz's articles, followed numerous bench builds. There is almost so much info out there that it causes paralysis by analysis.

I understand the functions most good benches have. Working for years on a cheap HF bench has made me appreciate the ability to hold work securely, since I can't. I totally get the love of the Robou, I have just never been that guy that builds what everybody else has.

Of all of my local wood working buddies, all of them have bought their benches. They are all nice benches and I've worked on them all and thing I could be happy with any number of benches. I'm just adding to the paralysis before I pull the trigger.

Besides buying the wood and hardware, I'm also going to be getting a griz 8" jointer before starting this. Jointing these boards on my 24" jointer is a no go and doing it by hand is just masochistic...

Google "The Naked Woodworker Workbench" check out the video results. It Mike Siemens's take on a Nicholson Bench. Its built out of big box construction lumber and with a limited about of tools. It should serve you well for many years. I am building one soon and I will eventually build a Robou once I have almost every tool I want first.

I bought a Swedish commercial bench (made from solid European beech) a few years ago that is adequate and works well allowing me to get on with building furniture, instruments and occasionally shop projects.

I might make a workbench in time when this one wears out but for now the commercial one works just fine for me. I can see the value of a Moxon vice in the type of work I do and may build one of those in preference to a bench.

Of course it's up to you as to what sort of bench you want/need to fit into your shop space/suit your workflow/meet your budget and whether you choose to build or buy. I've read the Schwarz book on workbenches and you can get some good ideas from that.

Thanks SlingGary. A friend of mine works at an aerospace company with a 3d printer that prints in titanium and other metals. The operator comes in on the weekends and runs it for side projects.. I think this May be an awesome solution..

I can see it now...

Get your new BC Roubo hardware here "Now with Titanium"

Hmmm standby for pricing details...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you decide to build something other than a BC Roubo, then I would strongly recommend that you make your base stout enough for a leg vise.  You might even pre-configure one of the base legs like Kev did on the bench he built for a friend.

The picture below is Kev's, and it nicely shows the left front leg pre-configured for a BC leg vise.

YVWrHS.jpg

You can download the BC install manual for their leg vise on the BC web site.  The install manual gives all of the dimensions required for installing a BC leg vise.

If you decide to use hardware from other manufacturers, as Gary mentions, I would still recommend the BC leg vise crisscross.  They do sell all of their products separately.

Whatever you do decide, we expect to see a journal of your build.