Award Plaque Finish

Keggers

Long story short. I've been asked to build sixteen walnut award plaques in the shape of the state of Missouri. I'm just doing the woodwork. The customer will attach the lettered brass plate. I was wondering if Watco Danish Oil would work as a viable finish. I'm looking for a quick and easy finish for this project. The customer does not want a glossy finish. Thank you for any help.

No, I would use a finish that will dry fast for you. Spray can of solvent lacquer or a water-based topcoat. You want these done and over-with, not sitting in the shop waiting for them to dry.

My worry is, one coat of WDO will lead to another coat of WDO then another and so on. That equates to a lot of dry time. 

-Ace- 

• Like 1

No, I would use a finish that will dry fast for you. Spray can of solvent lacquer or a water-based topcoat. You want these done and over-with, not sitting in the shop waiting for them to dry.

My worry is, one coat of WDO will lead to another coat of WDO then another and so on. That equates to a lot of dry time. 

-Ace- 

I thought about using some General Finish wipe on poly diluted with some mineral spirits. I'm trying to avoid having to apply muliple coats with light sanding between coats,  but that might not be possible. Just want something simple and fast without having to buy some new finish.

Sure would be easier! Going around the "bootheel" at the bottom is exciting with a pattern bit.

As far as I'm concerned they could just lop that swampass boot heel off and give it to Tennessee.  Oh, uh, I mean...it's great down there. :D

In all seriousness, the only part of this state that's worth anything is the Ozarks.  Otherwise we're basically just a mosquito breeding ground for legs, a cow pasture for a torso, and suburban jungle for hands at the end of muddy river arms...and ghetto fingers. LOL.

As far as I'm concerned they could just lop that swampass boot heel off and give it to Tennessee. Oh, uh, I mean...it's great down there. :D

In all seriousness, the only part of this state that's worth anything is the Ozarks. Otherwise we're basically just a mosquito breeding ground for legs, a cow pasture for a torso, and suburban jungle for hands at the end of muddy river arms...and ghetto fingers. LOL.

As a born and bread Ozarkian, we agree. .

What about a spray on finish like lacquer?  

I've never sprayed anything.....but wasp nests and my truck with the garden hose. Not sure I need to start learning that process on a paying customer's project. I'm more comfortable with a wipe on finish application. Thanks for your suggestion though! :)

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

-Willard D. Vandiver_

eric, you can't keep your feelings bottled up, sooner or later you'll blow up, you should tell us how you really feel about Missouri :P  Kent, i just did 30 out of walnut in the shape of iowa, used ARS first coat gloss then two coats of satin, apply thin and it will dry pretty fast, ran a keyhole bit on the back for hanging on the wall, drove some brads thru scraps of wood, varnish one side , flip do other side, goes fast

• Like 1

eric, you can't keep your feelings bottled up, sooner or later you'll blow up, you should tell us how you really feel about Missouri :P  Kent, i just did 30 out of walnut in the shape of iowa, used ARS first coat gloss then two coats of satin, apply thin and it will dry pretty fast, ran a keyhole bit on the back for hanging on the wall, drove some brads thru scraps of wood, varnish one side , flip do other side, goes fast

Thanks Dave. I happen to have those two finishes in my shop. I'd thought about doing just as you suggested and I probably will. I don't have a keyhole bit but will buy one if there are more orders in the future. Might buy one anyway. The brads don't leave marks in the finish?

The plastic painters pyramids are worth the price ! If using nails or pyramids never press down or wipe or sand while on the supports or you will get dents in the other side ! Only gently sit the plaque down to dry, pick it up if you need to wipe a drip/ run/bug in finish etc.