Ridgid R4512 vs Grizzly G0715P vs Delta 36-725

rkrueger

I finally have garage space again and can put together a decent workshop for myself. I've done some basic woodwork in the past, but haven't had the space for the last 6 years. I had to get rid of my larger tools which wasn't a big deal since they were very basic/starter quality, so I'm in the market for some new toys.

I have a decent budget for a new table saw and I think I've narrowed it down to these three. I've been back and forth so many times on these and I can't seem to seal the deal on one. I'm hoping some of you may have some input or advice on these.

The grizzly is the most expensive of the bunch, especially considering the $99 additional freight charge. It's on sale for $745, so that puts me at $844. It's also wired for 220v, of which I do not have available at the moment, and the site states : NOTICE: *110V operation requires part #T23999 circuit breaker and wiring procedures that must be completed by an electrician. So there's added cost too.

Both the Delta and Ridgid are $549,  I'll have to pay tax on that, which makes them $587, but I can pick them up locally, so no freight charges.

I hear many good things about these saws, but the question is, is the Grizzly that much better to justify the cost?  And if it isn't, how do the Delta and Ridgid compare to each other?

Thanks!!

-Bob

Welcome to the forums.

I have the 715 and really like it.  I also have it wired for 110.  The breaker that they mention is in the switch and it's about 6 bucks.  The rewire is super simple and only takes a few minutes to do.

I can't speak for the other saws on your list as I've never used them.

• Like 1

I would not hire an electrician to rewire the G 0715. They really walk you through with color pictures. The breaker is a $6.00 part. I think TIODS rewired his.(Edit: ^ He types faster) The Grizz is heavy. At 400 lbs it does not move under use. The Rigid and Delta at that price point are not bad saws, but they make some sacrifices to be light enough to move "easily." Ultimately only you can decide what you need out of a saw.

• Like 1

Well that's good to know about the breaker then. I guess they state to get an electrician to avoid any liability. I know I need to ultimately decide on what I need,  but I'm hoping to get some more pointers why one may be better than the other etc. I have a few projects slated, a 9 foot rustic dining table, entertainment center cabinets, and a home studio desk. I know from reading around that it's usually better saw from the get go, and could plunk down the extra $$ for the Grizzly, but just trying to ascertain if the extra $260 is worth it.

I do like the fact that I can move the other saws compared to the Grizzly. This will be in my garage and I may need to move items now and then. I'm pretty positive that I'll set everything up one way, and decide later on that another layout would be better. But I don't want to select one based on that alone.

You can get a roller base for it.

Frankly, I liked being able to wire the saw either way. 

In the end, once you compared the features (dust collection, mobility, price, etc) only you can decide.  Just a couple here with the 715 that are happy with it.  I'm sure that some others here have the other saws will chime in

I can't speak to the warranty and customer service of the Delta or the Ridgid... But I can tell you Grizzly's warranty works the way they are supposed to and their customer service is excellent!   And if treated right the 715 should last you your lifetime.

I love the Delta. It wasn't the easiest thing ever to set the rails square but no problems since. The fence is awesome sauce. The dust collection could be improved, and in fact it's something I can probably improve myself if I take the time to do it. One downside is that it can really only do about a 1/2" dado stack and leave exposed threads on the arbor.

I'm honestly surprised it isn't on sale with fathers day being this weekend. Also if you have a military id, you can get 10% off at lowes.

I would rate them in the following order. Grizzly, Ridgid, then Delta. You can make any of these mobile, but the grizzly should last a lifetime. I have a Porter Cable Table Saw, and got it at a great price as lowes was getting rid of them. I upgraded the fence, better blades and will eventually build a workstation to house with storage. I haven't seen the new delta saw in person, but a lot of the recent talk is that parts are difficult to get.

Ah! A roller base, well that makes things a little easier!

I'm surprised there's no sale from either of the big box stores either, but you can buy 10% coupons for lowes off of ebay for a few bucks. So that's an option too...

No need for that...go to the post office and get a moving packet.  They contain the 10% coupons.  I conveniently have a post office on the way to my local Lowes.  They think I move a lot. :)

• Like 2

The R4512, nearly identical Cman 21833, and the G0715P all share pretty similar underpinnings.  They also share a notorious history of blade alignment issues with some of them...not all, but enough that I've all but dismissed them....bad design, bad execution of a design?  ... who knows, but it's an un-fixable disaster for those who get a bad one.  I've read repeated claims that the issue was fixed by the manufacturer, followed by repeated claims from new owners that it is not.  Since there are other solid choices, I'd look into them.

My short list would include the Delta 36-725 or the G0771.  The Delta has a better fence and a better track record than the R4512 IMO anyway.  The G0771 offers a full enclosure, solid cast wings, comparable fence to the R4512, and cabinet mounted trunnions.  

g0771-1d273053805314a521dedd71fe105113.j

• Like 2

I love the Delta. It wasn't the easiest thing ever to set the rails square but no problems since. The fence is awesome sauce. The dust collection could be improved, and in fact it's something I can probably improve myself if I take the time to do it. One downside is that it can really only do about a 1/2" dado stack and leave exposed threads on the arbor.

I'm honestly surprised it isn't on sale with fathers day being this weekend. Also if you have a military id, you can get 10% off at lowes.

Have you tried mounting the dado stack without the arbor washer?  It's a safe and common practice as long as the nut is fully seated on the arbor threads.

Thank's for your input Scott. I was about to pull the trigger on the G0715P. I'll have to do a little more digging and read up on the 771. So it looks like the 771 is a newer model, a little bit cheaper, wired for 110v, almost 100lbs lighter, but a downgraded fence/rail system?

The 771 is not available right now. According to another forum I read, there was a recall as there was apparently an incorrect pully used for the motor shaft. Not sure how long out they will be shipping again.

**Edit** I called and was told shipping availability was July 9th.

**Edit2** new Email says expected ship date July 29th

I bought the Ridgid R4512 a week and a half ago. It has so far lived up to my expectations, and for what it's worth, I checked for any alignment issues using a dial indicator and my saw measured fine. The mobile base is nice, and everything (fence, table, etc) came aligned within 1-2 thou from the factory. I've only put half a dozen cuts on it so far, but it's quiet and working great, even using the stock blade.

I was apprehensive after reading of others having problems with it, but mine had the updated trunnion design, and was shipped with a foam block supporting the motor (apparently both were put in as fixes for the issue Scott referenced). That said, the Grizzly saw certainly looks nice. It wasn't really an option for me with the hassle of getting it shipped into Canada, and I was also concerned about space.

Have you tried mounting the dado stack without the arbor washer?  It's a safe and common practice as long as the nut is fully seated on the arbor threads.

You talking the washer between the end nut and my last blade? I didn't know one could remove that safely. That is interesting. That would certainly increase my space. At least to 3/4" I bet. I think my stack does up to 29/32"

You talking the washer between the end nut and my last blade? I didn't know one could remove that safely. That is interesting. That would certainly increase my space. At least to 3/4" I bet. I think my stack does up to 29/32"

Several manufacturers even recommend that procedure.  The critical element is that the nut is fully seated on the thread.

When checking for the alignment problem make sure you know what you're checking. Don't know how many times I've read someone say they didn't have the alignment problem but they were checking the wrong thing.

- Rick M, sent via Tapatalk

I appreciate that. I think I've probably read everything there is on this in the last few weeks. I was able to run the saw through every permutation of the adjustments while being within 1-2 thousandths of perfect, so that's good enough for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk