SCMS Installation

Immortan D

I'm designing a small workbench for my new SCMS. The new workbench is going to be strong enough for other uses, so the saw will get moved from the top quite often. I can't afford having a dedicated miter saw station because I have lots of space constraints (remember I don't have a shop...).

Now comes the question:

Is it really necessary to bolt the saw to the top of the bench?

Given the weight of the saw (70 pounds) I don't think it's going anywhere, but this is my first SCMS so I wouldn't know.

I don't think so.  The only time I can think bolting it down would be necessary is if you had an auxiliary fence set up on the bench for stop blocks, etc.  Otherwise, it's not gonna move more than fractions of an inch unless you bump it with your hip or experience a kickback.

the only time I need to bolt it down is when cutting really wide stock.   I think my Bosch can handle 12" wide stock or so.  When  you slide the head all the way forward and pull down to make your cut, the saw can tip forward a little bit.   But in those cases I just used a clamp to temporarily hold the saw down.  

I don't think so.  The only time I can think bolting it down would be necessary is if you had an auxiliary fence set up on the bench for stop blocks, etc.  Otherwise, it's not gonna move more than fractions of an inch unless you bump it with your hip or experience a kickback.

The "experience a kickback" part kept me thinking. I will set a couple of hold down clamps, clamping down where the rear bolts are suppose to go, just for extra security.

the only time I need to bolt it down is when cutting really wide stock.   I think my Bosch can handle 12" wide stock or so.  When  you slide the head all the way forward and pull down to make your cut, the saw can tip forward a little bit.   But in those cases I just used a clamp to temporarily hold the saw down.  

Excellent. That's exactly what I have in my mind.

A couple 2" torx head deck screws and 1/4" x 1-1/4" fender washers will hold it down firmly and are easily removed. No need to get crazy with lag bolts or bolting through.

I may end up with a workbench looking like Swiss cheese :D

I thought about setting 1/4'' inserts on the workbench, but alignment would be a PITA.

Flippable top might be an answer..  There's lots of plans out there for those..

Eric brings up a good point about the kick back!  I like having the extended fences but, I made them removable (T-Track) in case I needed the space. 

Flippable top might be an answer..  There's lots of plans out there for those..

It certainly is a great idea. Would even make my life easier, lifting those 70 pounds up and down all day long won't do me any good.

But for now I will be making a quick bench out of 2x4s just to get the saw up and running and into my workflow. Right now it's sitting on my folding router table, which is not taking the load very well.