Cedar table finishing

Jgr327

hello, I'm new to this site and looking for some advice.  Im a jr wood worker and making my first table.  I got some cedar from a buddy that was milled up like 20 years ago.  Im making a dining table out of it.  Im finding out that cedar is a very soft wood, but it doesn't matter.  I am alright with some dings and dents.  

The table top is already done, but Im having some issues finding a finish that will not cause the wood to darken.  This is what I did on scrap.  I used a torch to burn the top a bit and then brushed it off.  I really like the colour and the feel the burning does.  My issues is when I apply any finish to it its causing the wood to darken a lot.  I would like to keep the way it looks naturally. I sprayed minwax poly satin, tung oil (which i figured would darken it), and minwax polycrylic satin brushed on.  whats my best way to finish the top and give it some durability. 

thanks

Is this an indoor or outdoor table? Assuming it's indoor your best best for not adding any color at all would be a water based finish. Minwax polycrylic is available at home centers. General finishes high performance is somewhat harder to obtain but gets better reviews.

• Like 1

Is this western red cedar, easter aromatic cedar (juniper), or sime other variety?

My experience with finishing is limited to eastern aromatic cedar, but it seems that the nice red color turns brown eventually, no matter what.

My best suggestion is to try a clear spray lacquer. I doubt it will be much better than polycrylic, but its worth a shot.