Purchasing my first router

semberrg

I have the skil 1830 two base2&1/4 hp router. it is fine and economical. would i recommend this for daily or production use, probably not and then i would consider its brother from bosch. or similar sized dewalt, porter cable.  but it is certainly functional, capable and economical.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

I like the big Triton as a first router.  It will work nicely in a table without a fancy lift, it works nicely hand held (although it's a bit massive), it's got OK dust collection, and all in all it will cover all the bases.  As time goes by you can add a trim router so you don't have to heft the monster for small jobs, and a dedicated router table motor/lift combo, and you'll still be happy to have the big Triton.

Kind of a rough welcome to the forums Semberrg. 

There is a search feature that will help you research older topics and maybe find the answers you're looking for.  Obviously on a woodworking forum, some of these topics get kind of beat to death.

Welcome to the forums!

As for the router, my advice is not to go so cheap that you'll be replacing it when you outgrow it next week.  If you could spend a few extra bucks, I'd look at the Bosch 1617.  Although I have a few routers, this one is still one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I hate when this happens and I have to apologize. :D  Just having kind of a bad day, semberrg...don't take the lashing personal.  What I meant to say was:

Welcome, semberrg! :wub:

There have been a lot of threads on this very topic on this very forum...you've come to the right place! :wub:

You should try a search and check out the old threads here...lots of good advice! :wub:

Aaaand...apologies again for the passive-aggressive apology.  But I do mean it sincerely.  You are welcome here and there are no stupid questions...only redundant questions. :)

• Like 1

come on guys that's no way to treat a short-term poster yes you could google the question and get 500 different links to different forums, or participate as something other than a passive bystander, have a discussion, make some relationships.

I'm pretty sure I've asked that question at some point or another and if that was the kind of response I would have been like " F WTO, and their pretentious attitudes"

• Like 2

As someone who doesn't own a router yet I was looking forward to suggestions.  Isn't that the purpose of a "discussion forum", to discuss things? 

Good thing he didn't post a picture of the first box he made.  "Oh man another box!!! haven't you seen all the boxes that have already been posted?  Jeeeez, another one...."

• Like 1

I have the Bosch 1617evs. This is a great router. I have it in my router table. Why this is a good starter router. You can adjust the depth from above the fence. It has a speed adjustment. It comes with a plunge router base and a fixed base.

I have heard great things about the Triton but do not have one so cannot speak positive or negative about it.

I have a Dewalt trim router and do not like the height adjustment.

I have a craftsman plunge router and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I replaced the bearing but the lights were wired into the motor so I had to cut them. It was way more difficult then it should have been. I also have had to take it apart to fix the rods that plunge the router down. In short I would stay away from them.

Welcome!

• Like 1

come on guys that's no way to treat a short-term poster yes you could google the question and get 500 different links to different forums, or participate as something other than a passive bystander, have a discussion, make some relationships.

I'm pretty sure I've asked that question at some point or another and if that was the kind of response I would have been like " F WTO, and their pretentious attitudes"

As someone who doesn't own a router yet I was looking forward to suggestions.  Isn't that the purpose of a "discussion forum", to discuss things? 

Good thing he didn't post a picture of the first box he made.  "Oh man another box!!! haven't you seen all the boxes that have already been posted?  Jeeeez, another one...."

Yeah...I admitted it was a snarky response on my part, hence the apology.  But get real...do you not even give an ounce of effort leafing through the mountain of already available information on the exact question you have on the exact forum you're asking it?  I've had a million discussions and developed a million relationships...some questions need to be whittled down a bit before they're posed.  At least make us think you've put in a couple minutes of research time by telling us your needs, your budget, a few machines you're considering, your confusions and concerns.

Good day.

:steps_off_soap_box:

Eric, Which router(s) do you have and can you give us a review on each ?  :D

I'm sure I have in the past and that information is also available deep in the archives here.  Probably harder to find but I bet it's there. :)

I'll give you 3 recommendations. Keep in mind everyone should have 3 routers, a 1.25hp trim router or compact router, a 2.25hp mid range workhorse do everything router, and a Porter Cable 7518 in a table with a lift =)

Bosch 1617EVS plunge and fixed base kit (BOSCH-1617EVSPK-RT). Roughly 200ish bucks, made well, and you will not outgrow it. 

Festool OF1400 - Pricey at around 555, but a great router and my go to for 90% of everything I do.

Porter Cable 893PK - Roughly 275ish a great router and again, you won't outgrow it. 

• Like 2

Tom I only see two recommendations and a commandment. .

I've got the OF1400 and the 1617EVS. I also have a Porter Cable 450PK Trim router with plunge and fixed base, and a PC 7518 in a router table with a lift. 

All great routers, I can't complain about any of them. Though the one I use the least is the Bosch. 

I've got the OF1400 and the 1617EVS. I also have a Porter Cable 450PK Trim router with plunge and fixed base, and a PC 7518 in a router table with a lift. 

All great routers, I can't complain about any of them. Though the one I use the least is the Bosch. 

My router list is nearly identical..  Only difference is that I have the Bosch trim router.

I leave my 1617 set up for my DT jig and use my OF1400 for most everything else.

Love the big PC in my router table..  Getting tired of turning the table over to adjust the speed setting tho ;)

• Like 2