Purchasing my first router

semberrg

I have quite a few Grizzlys...TS, 8" jointer, 15" planer, 17" bandsaw and a DC.  The TS I'm most pleased with (G0690).  Really I have no complaints about it...it's been great in every way aside from the terrible fence it came with.  The rest are all meh.  They get the job done and the price is very appealing...they're not Harbor Freight junk but they're not the greatest either.  Just know that the fit and finish leaves a little to be desired and it takes a little more fiddling to get and keep them tuned...but they are serviceable machines.  Good bang for the hobbyist buck.  If you're a millionaire you shouldn't consider them.  If you're a normal guy, take a look.

I think I'm going with the Bosch 1617. Thanks guys! Eric if you want I could build you a soap box if you'd like. Lol I kid, I kid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hello semberrg,

I have this same kit (16171EVS) and I highly recommend the following accessories as well (items 3-5 if you're planning to use template guides): 

1. Bosch RA1173AT Dust Collection 
  2. RA1054 Deluxe Edge Guide 
  3. RA1100 Template Guide Adapter 
  4. RA1151 Centering Cone 
  5. Kempston 990000 10pc Brass Template Guide Kit 

Additionally, I have had very pleasing results with Whiteside Router bits, available from Hartville Tool, Highland Woodworking & Woodcraft to name a few. 

Happy Routing,

Anthony 

• Like 1

I have a large Triton router mounted in homeade cabinet.  It is heavy and powerful.  Even out of the cabinet I find that the heft adds to the stability.  It has good plunge mehcanism with 2 stops and a decent side guide.  I have used freehand it with a 1/6th " diameter bit for inlay work and, mounted in the table, have used some pretty large door panel bits.  That being said I do intend to get a small router also to avoid the work of removing the big Triton from the table for quick, smaller tasks.

Hello semberrg,

I have this same kit (16171EVS) and I highly recommend the following accessories as well (items 3-5 if you're planning to use template guides):

Additionally, I have had very pleasing results with Whiteside Router bits, available from Hartville Tool, Highland Woodworking & Woodcraft to name a few.

Happy Routing,

Anthony

I appreciate the information! Thank you.

So I purchased the 1617 kit that came with a case and the plunge base as well. It seemed to be the best bang for the buck at just over 219 dollars. Any others get any woodworking toys for father's day? Happy father's day btw!

• Like 1