Help me pick my dust collector!

Denette

I'm torn between two options - 

The Grizzly 2 hp canister dust collector:

http://grizzly.com/products/2HP-Canister-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G0548ZP

and the Powermatic 1.75 hp dust collector.

http://smile.amazon.com/Powermatic-PM1300TX-BK-Collector-230-Volt-30-Micron/dp/B004TPJWBA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432908214&sr=8-4&keywords=powermatic+dust+collector

Honestly, I think I like the Grizzly better.  It's a canister model, which seems like a step up.  It's got a 1 micron filter, rather than the 30 micron filter of the Powermatic model.  It also costs $100 less after shipping.  

Yet I'm still not so sure, because my father-in-law has had the same powermatic dust collector for upwards of 10 years.  The PM model also has some sort of integrated chip separator, as well as a steel impeller (the Grizzly model has a ⅛" thick aluminum impeller).  I really like the PM Canister model that's another step up, but I just can't justify spending nearly $1000 on a dust collector.

What do you guys think?  I've got a wonderfully supportive wife who is actually telling me that I have to get the better of the two, haha!  She wants me to "buy the last tool first."  Hooray for a wife who gets it!   :)

I've got the Grizzly canister you linked.  It's not the white one but otherwise it's the same.  I only use the blower and I threw the rest away but after maybe eight years or so it's still going strong.  It's developed a squeak when it's coming to a stop which drives me nuts...but it pulls dust just fine.  Keep in mind...these little units are not designed to be the heart of a fully ducted shop...something around 5HP is more appropriate for that.  I do use mine in a ducted system and it cleans up most of the mess...but be sure to adjust your expectations accordingly if you're expecting perfect...because you ain't gonna get that.

There are times when I'm willing to pay for the baby poop yellow paint.  A dust collector is not one of them.

• Like 1

I've got the Grizzly canister you linked.  It's not the white one but otherwise it's the same.  I only use the blower and I threw the rest away but after maybe eight years or so it's still going strong.  It's developed a squeak when it's coming to a stop which drives me nuts...but it pulls dust just fine.  Keep in mind...these little units are not designed to be the heart of a fully ducted shop...something around 5HP is more appropriate for that.  I do use mine in a ducted system and it cleans up most of the mess...but be sure to adjust your expectations accordingly if you're expecting perfect...because you ain't gonna get that.

There are times when I'm willing to pay for the baby poop yellow paint.  A dust collector is not one of them.

Thanks for the quick reply, Eric!  

Squeaks are why God made WD-40, so that's not a major issue.  

I'm not going to have a fully-ducted shop, the plan was just to scoot it around and use it on a single machine at a time with a hose of less than 10 feet.  

What is the reason you threw out everything but the blower?  Was there a problem with the rest, or did it just not fit in with your shop setup?

I had three of the Grizzly models at one time. I sold two of them when I upgraded to a cyclone. They performed well for my purposes and are still going strong after five years. I hated emptying the bags but that's just part of the deal. I'd recommend buying one. Like Eric said - they are pretty much a one machine at a time unit.

• Like 1

I have a pm-73, which I think is the older model of the pm you linked. At 1.5hp, the unit is quite heavy and well made.

I use a 20 foot dust right hose on mine that will extend all the way around my small shop. I have considered switching over to the canister. .

• Like 1

Did you look into the Jet? It's essentially the powermatic but should be cheaper and has the vortex cone. I can attest, because I retrofit my older model canister Jet DC with the cone, that it indeed works. It keeps the filter from clogging up with the heavy chips very effectively.

• Like 1

What is the reason you threw out everything but the blower?  Was there a problem with the rest, or did it just not fit in with your shop setup?

No problem, it just wasn't needed with my system.  I have an aftermarket cyclone and all the waste dumps into a barrel beneath it, my blower is mounted up near the ceiling and I blow the fines out the back of the shop.  So I had no need for the filter, canister, casters, etc.  It was the cheapest way to scratch together a small cyclone system that I could think of aside from building a thien baffle...which I had no interest in pursuing.

• Like 1

I can't say either way on those two but I bought a jet with a canister filter off Craigslist and then made a thein baffle in a 55 gallon drum and it works great. I am very happy with the canister filter and I have had to empty my thein baffle drum about 3 times since it is full and I only have maybe an inch of saw dust in the bottom of the bag on the DC.

I went with the Laguna 1 3/4 HP.  Check it out.  I love emptying a canister instead of a bag.  Just keep in mind that 1 3/4 to 2 HP 110V dust collectors are only designed to work with one machine at a time.  You can't pull suction for more than about 20' of 4" duct ( or equivalent).  I have 5 machines hooked up to to mine but I close the blast gates to all but the one that I am using at the time.

PS.  I have turned into a big Laguna fan for mid priced power tools.  I have their dust collector, their 10" fusion cabinet saw (36" rip). and their 14 twelve band saw.  I have had only minor questions/problems and their customer service is fantastic.