Outdoor stain for cypress

Denette

I'm working on this:

11108246_10204486045284357_5823570690986

And need to stain it to match a porch swing.  I bought an oil-based deck sealer - this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_550048-86-8010101___?productId=50146500&pl=1&Ntt=olympic+elite+semi-transparent+exterior+stain

and was wanting to make sure that this would be okay to use on a cypress chair, and not weather poorly (it's deck furniture) and not leave people with Cedar-tinted butts after replacing in the chair for a while.

if it worked for the porch swing, it will probably work for this. however, matching may not be as complete as you like if they are different woods and aged differently. 

one thing i would consider is an epoxy sealer for the feet to protect them. (see marc's cedar table video for the link).

nice looking chair by the way

Cypress is a very rot resistent wood. Bugs don't care much for it either. The siding on my house and my shop is cypress wood. The stain you chose will work fine. I'd suggest planning to re-stain it in about a year and then as needed. Great looking chair by the way!

i think it is called Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. it is demonstrated on marc's rustic outdoor table 2nd video and you don't really need to watch the video as it is in the accompanying text

Word on the forum is that you really can't buy Smiths CPES anywhere due to VOC issues.  Here is their website.  If interested, give them a call and see if anyone sells it in your area.

http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/

I'm working on a house right now built in 1850.  All the clues I can find say that the cypress shingles on it lasted for 131 years.  It was covered with standing seam metal in 1986.  Pictures on the "structural" page on my website-scroll down on the page.  And those were even poorly installed in my book, on a 5:12 slope roof.

• Like 1

Alright guys, thanks for all the advice!  I've got another question to add to the first one.  I would love to add some wax over the oil coat to give additional water-repelling properties, as well as a touch of shine - And darn it, a few coats of wax just feels better to me than deck stain.  I understand that wax probably won't stand up to the elements for the long-term, but was wanting to know how long it might last.  I've just got your garden-variety Minwax paste wax.  Is it even worth applying?  Will it look hideous after being outdoors for a week, a month, a year?  Would it cause problems when the time came to reapply a coat of the deck stain/sealer?  

Thanks again for the help!

Also, I decided to forego the epoxy on the feet, primarily because this will be on a covered cement front porch 99% of the time, so it will stay reasonably dry.  

Here's the chair all stained up!  Just got finished with it 10 minutes ago.

11235799_10204529009118426_5590579827607

I'm working on a house right now built in 1850.  All the clues I can find say that the cypress shingles on it lasted for 131 years.  It was covered with standing seam metal in 1986.  Pictures on the "structural" page on my website-scroll down on the page.  And those were even poorly installed in my book, on a 5:12 slope roof.

That's crazy!  I just hope my workmanship lives up to the wood's longevity.

If you want to use wax, I suggest NOT using Minwax paste where outdoor weather and sunlight are a factor. Tends to dry up and flake if you apply much at all. Maybe a mineral oil / beeswax mixture would not do that, maybe it would. I use it for cutting boards, and it repels water nicely. Melt 2 parts oil with 1 part wax, by weight. It makes a hard paste you can rub on with a cloth.

I wouldn't have stained it either, and I cringed the whole time I was doing it.  The client gets what the client wants, no matter how badly I want it to stay natural.  Alas.

I decided to forego the wax.  Thanks for all the help!