Turned my first pens...

shaneymack

That came out nice. I love how some of the acrylics looks finished. My favorites though are the color stabilized burls. They finish well with CA, and they look stunning. You don't know until you start turning how nice it's gonna look.

I turned a piece of Panga Panga which is essentially Wenge. It's a pain to sand. It's near impossible to get smooth just by sanding alone. I finished mine with a clear turning wax. You apply while spinning and then use friction to melt it into the pores and give you a nice smoother feel. Only problem is the wax finishes aren't too durable for heavy use.

Is the finishing process tor the stabilized burls the same as acrylic? Just polished with the micromesh and plastic polish?

The guy that I buy my tires from, gives me one of his turned pens each year for Christmas, and it's not that I don't appreciate them, but his looks like he whittled his compared to yours. Good job.

Thanks coop! Im sure its just that he isnt very good as opposed to me being very good. I still dont really know what im doing....

Thanks coop! Im sure its just that he isnt very good as opposed to me being very good. I still dont really know what im doing....

It'll take a bunch of "around the house" pens before you find the shape and style you like best. 

I foresee this in your future if you like pens that much.