Adirondack Chair - Greene & Greene-ish (Not Marc's)

Denette

I will begin by being transparent and admitting that the elements for the chair's design were picked from different parts of chairs that my client liked from this website:

http://www.celeski.com

Truly breathtaking and bank-busting stuff over there.  

I made it from cypress with red oak dowels, and used all-wood joinery with Titebond 3, finished with an oil-based deck stain (the stain was the client's idea, not mine).  Everywhere that you see a dowel is actual joinery, nothing is ornamental aside from the shaped boards.  This baby could go through a metal detector and not make a beep.  I cut the curves and whatnot from ½" MDF templates I made by looking at my scaled up ketchup model.

Thanks to the fact that I'm a teacher and have the summer off, I'm spending the entire week (starting tomorrow) on a bench version of this project - imagine it a little over twice as wide.  Fun fun!

Here it is, from start to finish!

11401157_10204484482765295_7388052080734

11407166_10204479410118482_9110844117006

11392957_10204479519601219_858072531110311535846_10204480141816774_5596048622123

Clean design and a well executed piece.  Nice job.

I'm with you on the stain...I wish people could learn to embrace the natural beauty of wood.

My only other nitpick would be the flatsawn right stile...it should mirror the straight grain of the left stile.  Otherwise the grain selection and layout is dead on.  You obviously spent time thinking about grain...the flatsawn middle back splat and bottom seat slat, the mirrored arms and front legs...maybe you ran out of stock?

Anyway, only another woodworker (an anal retentive OCD one at that) would complain about it...or even notice it.  All in all, very well done sir.

Nice work, I like the design. Did you drawbore or just peg the tenons?

Thanks! Just pegged & glued. If I had a drill press I would definitely have drawbored them, but with just a drill I'm lucky everything came out as well as it did.

Clean design and a well executed piece. Nice job.

I'm with you on the stain...I wish people could learn to embrace the natural beauty of wood.

My only other nitpick would be the flatsawn right stile...it should mirror the straight grain of the left stile. Otherwise the grain selection and layout is dead on. You obviously spent time thinking about grain...the flatsawn middle back splat and bottom seat slat, the mirrored arms and front legs...maybe you ran out of stock?

Anyway, only another woodworker (an anal retentive OCD one at that) would complain about it...or even notice it. All in all, very well done sir.

You are correct about that stile - ran out of stock. Oops. Perhaps I can let myself off easy on it because it's been floating near 100° while I've been working in my uncoiled garage. Gatorade to the rescue. Honestly, I'm glad someone else was annoyed by it, it feels like I'm validated for disliking that one odd board, haha! Thanks for the comments guys!

Clean design and a well executed piece.  Nice job.

My only other nitpick would be the flatsawn right stile...it should mirror the straight grain of the left stile.  Otherwise the grain selection and layout is dead on.  You obviously spent time thinking about grain...the flatsawn middle back splat and bottom seat slat, the mirrored arms and front legs...maybe you ran out of stock?

Anyway, only another woodworker (an anal retentive OCD one at that) would complain about it...or even notice it.  All in all, very well done sir.

Well done...nice...I agree with you Eric...embrace the natural beauty of the wood.  If I'm protecting it from the elements, I try to not hide the grain and when my wife begins a sentence with "paint".... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Having said that....keep your anus out of this - because no matter the boards used, the project is beautiful!  OCD now will give you nice projects but make you stupid when you're old.....remember what the D stands for. Good for you Arrdenet...not perfect by some standards, but really nice!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys!

Um did nobody else notice that his planer got scarred, jumped up, and is stuck upside down.

Haha!  I actually built that planer cart right before the adirondack chair.  It's a flip-top design, with a ½" bar of all-thread running through the middle serving as an axle.  The whole cart nestles into the counters on the wall so it doesn't take up floor space when it doesn't have to.