Greene and Greene Desk

SD_Andy

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Chip,

Yes I have both of his books.   They are both really good and were a tremendous help.   I learned a ton from him.   It’s no surprise that his work was a huge inspiration for this piece.     I also have some videos from Dale Barnard and WIlliam NG that are really good.  All remarkable woodworkers.  I’ve also scoured the internet for other videos, articles etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 10:53 PM, Chip Sawdust said:

Andy, I also built his pillowing jig for making the ebony plugs, and his set of square chisels for cutting the mortises. They're great, and they save time. 

Still in awe of your desk :)

Thank you again Chip.    I have the square chisels also.   They are really the only method for doing square holes.   I built the pillowing jig too but decided that I didn't really like it.   Perhaps I didn't practice enough but I could never get perfect plugs.   I ended up making the jig below to build plugs.   It probably takes a little longer but the plugs are very consistent.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/162586

That jig looks pretty good! I’ve had decent luck with Peart’s jig but there are many ways to skin a cat. I’ve made hundreds of plugs, different sizes but most commonly the 3/8 followed by 1/4. The bed frame I’m working on will have a 1/2 plug where the bed bolt goes in but that size is unusual for most G&G projects. 

5 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

That jig looks pretty good! I’ve had decent luck with Peart’s jig but there are many ways to skin a cat. I’ve made hundreds of plugs, different sizes but most commonly the 3/8 followed by 1/4. The bed frame I’m working on will have a 1/2 plug where the bed bolt goes in but that size is unusual for most G&G projects. 

I really like it, works well for me.   It can do pretty much any size of plug.  You just have to make an adapter for the size you are making.    Only takes a minute on the table saw.

3 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Beautiful work Andy you should be proud of that great piece. I missed it, is it for you?

Thank you Slayer.  Yes this one is for me.   I use it as a computer desk for photo editing.