Laminated Fishing Net

SD_Andy

Very Cool..  Do you have any detail pics of how you tied the net in?

The net is held in by a 30 lb braided dacron (backing if you are a fly fisherman).   I started by routing a groove around the perimeter with the bit shown below.  The I drilled a series of holes around the perimeter.   The braided dacron is tied to the netting on one end, routed form the inside the outside, run along the routed groove, in through the next hole, around the net and then back out the same hole and so on and so forth.  I hope this helps.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=65641&cat=1,46168,46241,46168,69435,46176&ap=1

post-17173-0-69058200-1435029718_thumb.j

post-17173-0-51150500-1435029719_thumb.j

post-17173-0-32863700-1435029720_thumb.j

• Like 1

The net is held in by a 30 lb braided dacron (backing if you are a fly fisherman).   I started by routing a groove around the perimeter with the bit shown below.  The I drilled a series of holes around the perimeter.   The braided dacron is tied to the netting on one end, routed form the inside the outside, run along the routed groove, in through the next hole, around the net and then back out the same hole and so on and so forth.  I hope this helps.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=65641&cat=1,46168,46241,46168,69435,46176&ap=1

Makes perfect sense!  Thanks!

That is a wonderful fishing net.

Great job!

I think I would like to try my hand at one of those.

Did you have a plan of some sort, did you model it off an existing net, or is it your own design?

I imagine the net you ordered has to fit the hoop, so you're limited to certain dimensions.

Did you make a form to bend the hoop and, if so ,do you have a photo?

BTW where did you go fishing in Wyoming?

I don't recognize the stream, not that there's any reason I should considering how big WY is.

That is a wonderful fishing net.

Great job!

I think I would like to try my hand at one of those.

Did you have a plan of some sort, did you model it off an existing net, or is it your own design?

I imagine the net you ordered has to fit the hoop, so you're limited to certain dimensions.

Did you make a form to bend the hoop and, if so ,do you have a photo?

BTW where did you go fishing in Wyoming?

I don't recognize the stream, not that there's any reason I should considering how big WY is.

Thanks Dave.   It was actually fairly simple.   I hate to admit it but the shape of the hoop was borrowed from one of Fishpond nets but you could use any that you could get a good image of.   The handle was custom fit to my liking after bit of trial and error.  I bought the net bag (Brodin) and then scaled a plot of the net shape to fit the net bag.   Then I taped the plot to the plywood and cut it out.   A little bit of adhesive back cork (Home Depot) made up for any irregularities. I have attached some pictures of the form.   Making sure you have even clamping all the way around prevents any gaps in the laminations.   You can see how I made the form to prevent that from happening.   I used as many clamps as I could get in the form to get good pressure.   See the attached images for the more detail.  

Note that the net was formed in three steps.   I steamed the laminations and then put them in the form overnight to allow the to start to take shape.   I found that gluing them after steaming didn't work so well because they cool off so quickly.   After letting them sit overnight I glued them up and let it set overnight again.   The next day I cleaned up the inside of the hook on a spindle sander and then glued that last piece in that make up the very inner lamination of the hook.   This last step isn't required but I think it looks much cleaner.   the last laminations is done by removing the inner piece of the form and replacing them with the smaller pieces and clamping.  

I hope this helps.  Feel free to message me if you want more help or have more questions.   After a little experimentation I found this to be an easy project that a woodworking of just about any skill level could accomplish.

There isn't much detail in the picture to recognize.  I was fishing the North Platte Near Alcova.

Andy

post-17173-0-77346900-1435722973_thumb.j

post-17173-0-76164700-1435722974_thumb.j

post-17173-0-76735700-1435722975_thumb.j

post-17173-0-71905800-1435722976_thumb.j

• Like 2