Dust Collection Questions

Taggie

I am in the process putting my shop together and have to figure out out dust.  The shop is in a 2 car garage with one car that has a home in it so things have to move around.  I live where it is cold, I mean cold! (Winnipeg, MB, CDA)  so I am worried about the performance of flexible pipe that is on the Rockler Wall mount Dust Collector.  The other option I see for someone like me is the Harbour Freight System.  I am  little worried about the noise it would create.

I am certainly not as good as most of you folks and would appreciate any help in dealing with dust.

Thanks

John

Well they're all gonna be noisy, so that's not really a deciding factor.

You asked a wide open question and we need more details.  How many machines?  How big are your machines?  Are you planning to do one tool at a time or a ducted system?  How worried about dust are you...do you just want most of the mess cleaned up or do you want breathable air?

I'll try to be more tactful this time:

This is a subject that has been discussed in many, many...many...many threads.  Try doing some searches on this forum and in google...then come back with more specific questions and we'll be happy to help...

in answer to your questions

3 machines table saw, mitre saw, and router table.

One tool at a time or a ducted system really depends. I would like to avoid the cost of putting all the ductting in but I also know it would be a pain to shift between machines.

How worried - I will were a respirator when sanding.

Would something like a dust separator work okay?  I really do not want to invest too much money if I can avoid it.

John

Sounds like the HF unit might be a winner for you then if you don't mind rolling it around from machine to machine and wearing a respirator...because you'll likely need to do both.

FYI, any DC will be worthless on your miter saw.  Same with your router table if it has a 2" port.  Small ports are for shop vacs, 4" ports and larger are for DC.  I tried and tried to get my miter saw to work with my DC...it just doesn't.  Defies the laws of physics.

For those machines I'd get a dedicated dust collector for the table saw.  Use a shop vac for the router table and miter saw.  That way you don't have to keep switching back and forth and shop vacs work fine for a router table.   dust collection for miter saws is generally pretty poor.  

I put one of those cheap snap-on bags under my table saw.  It gets the vast majority of the dust.

A shop vac is in order in the near future for most of the rest.

You might try mounting the blower outside the garage.  That way it doesn't get in the way of your work and your shop is quieter.

After all, they're only neighbors.  ;-)  Just funnel the dust directly into your compost bin.

Hey gang, don't think I ever posted anything here but do check it out quite often.

I have a HF dust collector that I put in around May 2014. I actually put it up in my attic of my 2 car garage just to save space. Since the area is well vented I wasn't to worried if some dust gets out of the filter bag. I will get a canister for it at some point. I also got the plastic dust deputy to seperate the dust. And only once have I had to empty the DC bag because I let the garbage can fill up. And no the full bag was not very heavy.

I used PVC pipe for the ductwork, yeah yeah yeah I know, static. None, after watching numerous YouTube videos and reading everything I could find, I wrapped 18 gauge copper wire around all the ductwork and screwed into every fitting and made sure the line was continuous from the end of my line to the DC. I have not blown up or gotten any shocks at all. Oh and I have it controlled on a remote I purchased from DH Gate.

Now I really only use it for my planet, jointer, router table and little dewalt table saw and it works great. The rest of my tools are all Festool so I have very limited airborne dust.

So go with the HF collector, well worth it.

I have the harbor freight collector with the rockler flex hose and quick connect fittings. I just move it from machine to machine. Really isn't a big deal, it just takes a few seconds. I recently converted it to a two stage system by building a thein separator on a trash can. That took longer than I'd originally planned but it works well in collecting the vast majority of the dust and chips.

I'm going to pick up a Wynn filter too and that should really help keep the fine dust out of the air. When the weather is nice and I can have the garage door open I can just roll the collector out into the driveway and pop the filter off and let the fines blow to the wind.

The miter saw is a huge dust machine though. I may need to go with a hood type setup like what higtron posted.

Thanks for all the info.  I am going to get the HF system when I am down in St Paul.  My latest problem is the motor in my table saw crapped out (Delta 36-390C)  I suspect from all the saw dust.  So I guess I will be pulling it out and hoping with a little cleaning it will be back and running.  If not, it is time for a new motor, or a better saw, just a question of money.

Thanks for all the info.  I am going to get the HF system when I am down in St Paul.  My latest problem is the motor in my table saw crapped out (Delta 36-390C)  I suspect from all the saw dust.  So I guess I will be pulling it out and hoping with a little cleaning it will be back and running.  If not, it is time for a new motor, or a better saw, just a question of money.

Always seems to be a question of money..