Flood the surface!

N00b-in-training

I made a quick stop at home today over lunch to slap another coat of lacquer on a couple of small items I built for my wife this past weekend. The normal bowl I use to apply finishes out of was in use with the lacquer thinner I put the brush in this AM, so I grabbed a plastic cup to use for the max of 5 minutes it would take me to apply another coat of lacquer. Well... 

Turns out lacquer eats through cheap off brand solo cups in about 3 minutes. The bottom of the cup fell out and gave a new definition to flooding the surface, the piece and my finishing table. Thankfully my phone was about 1 foot way and didn't get dumped on. Hopefully I don't have a lot of buffing ahead of me to repair anything the excess might have caused.

Lesson learned.

I used to work on race cars.  Before one of the big races the car was ready to go, on the trailer - I put a little car paint in a solo cup and was touching up the paint to make it look nice.  Yep automotive paint will also make the bottom of a solo cup drop.  And it only take a few hours to clean paint off the back window, side panels, bumpers....

==>lacquer eats through cheap off brand solo cups in about 3 minutes

Been there, done that... You should see what conversion varnish can eat through! I can leave lacquer in my guns for weeks (and I'll admit to the occasional months). Conversion varnish reducer can damage a gun overnight...

I made a quick stop at home today over lunch to slap another coat of lacquer on a couple of small items I built for my wife this past weekend. The normal bowl I use to apply finishes out of was in use with the lacquer thinner I put the brush in this AM, so I grabbed a plastic cup to use for the max of 5 minutes it would take me to apply another coat of lacquer. Well... 

Turns out lacquer eats through cheap off brand solo cups in about 3 minutes. The bottom of the cup fell out and gave a new definition to flooding the surface, the piece and my finishing table. Thankfully my phone was about 1 foot way and didn't get dumped on. Hopefully I don't have a lot of buffing ahead of me to repair anything the excess might have caused.

Lesson learned.

Giving apprentices a cup like that for acetone was a apparently a common prank in tool rooms.

Since we're on the topic, what is everyone's favorite disposable cup for finishes?  I've seen the paper cups used a bunch on videos for epoxy, but I worry about the wax for anything that is solvent based.

I prefer a good solid C cup!

Dave B - race at mid Ohio? I can hear those cars while at my moms farm

Yep - I use to work on SCCA GT cars, built a few ITA cars too.  I also used to race vintage motocross at Mid Ohio and whatever I could drive to. 

I found a set of small stainless steel mixing bowls at a garage sale.  i have been using them.  Whatever finish is left pops off pretty easy after it is dry or a little sand paper gets the thin stuff off.  They also came with plastic lids so I can just leave finish in the bowl until I'm done applying the finish.