Shop stand/floor sweep

duckkisser

So I have a space in my shop that I have a floor intake from the dust collector for chips that come from my lathe. I want to keep it but I also don't have enough room to not make use of the floor space. So I thought to build a stand and pipe the floor cleaner through the stand to just under the stand. Then I can sweep my chips into the intake. The stand is to put my scroll saw on but also for storage underneath

I have a couple of options for what to use the space under my scroll saw for. One for stuff to use with my table saw, sleds and jigs ect... Or I could build the stand into a separator for my dust collection. I don't have room for both. I know a lot of people store their table saw extra's under the wing of the tablesaw but with the built in router plate I don't have much room for storage under my table wing. Then again I have been told that a separator is great for extending the life of the machine, maximizing suction and reducing the amount of work emptying the bags. I'm kind of wondering what you guys think would be a better set up.

I'll post some pictures later to show you the space I'm working in

If you are running a standard dust collector at this point, and not a cyclone, I would look into building it into a separator as a first option. The increased simplicity of emptying it keeps many more diligent in their efforts.

Also, I would determine the scroll saws immediate future use and requirements. Does it need to stay on a stand, or could it be a pull out and clamp down situation. I would love to have a dedicated stand and work space for each on my tools, but it is just not realistic for me.

Watch your work patterns and tool usage and that will indicate your needs more accurately than your wants.

Good luck and hopefully you enjoy the results of which ever route you take.

I would like a shop sweep, but is there a concern sweeping dirt from the floor into the DC impeller?

That was the one reason I never installed a floor sweep. There's always little blocks of wood from the lathe or a paper towel, maybe a small rogue screw or something on the floor that would get sucked up into the impeller. 

A floor sweep by the lathe would be a godsend. Makes such a damn mess!