Box Truss Sawhorse

I'm planning on building a smaller version of this sawhorse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBvHT9TVXTo

I need a stable surface for hand tool usage. At the same time, I need it to have a small profile.

There will be no Roubo vises in my design, just a makeshift tail vise on one end.

What do you guys think? Did anyone build something like this?

Daniel,

As I have a work bench and a good set of saw horses, this would just be something to take up space. Good luck to ya if you decide to go this route.

I wish I had space for a full sized workbench. This sawhorse could be made with removable legs and stored vertically when not in use.

Actually, put the end against a wall, and it would be useable.  I've used a little 4' Lervad like that for decades on jobsites.  Sometimes it even gets a board laid on top held in the shoulder vise by a block screwed underneath the board, and the other end on a roller support.

http://www.historic-house-restoration.com/images/novdec2012_018.JPG   This setup used 6d finish nails as stops to hold the strip I was making the molding from (or maybe 4's-don't really remember).

Thanks for the replies!

He may have talked his self out of the build :huh:

Something like that. I'm talking myself out of these forums. I will continue making comments from time to time because I really like this community. But you won't be seeing new threads coming from me in the future. I don't make the cut here. It's just well over my league!

Farewell all of ya and thank you again!

Thanks for the replies!

Something like that. I'm talking myself out of these forums. I will continue making comments from time to time because I really like this community. But you won't be seeing new threads coming from me in the future. I don't make the cut here. It's just well over my league!

Farewell all of ya and thank you again!

Daniel, don't you dare! We were only jacking with ya. To each his own and if you like that build, jump in and build it. Folks here talk about their Festools and I'll never own one cause I like my Black and Decker etc.

If we all thought the same, I wouldn't be here either.

I still sneak a pocket hole screw or a brad in there cause I don't have a domino!

You want a bench when a bench is needed. You need the space when space is needed. I think the opinion you got was valid and non-insulting. Don't feel self conscious about asking the question. Rather than a saw horse to fit a bench desire, maybe research a knock down bench. I think there is a knockdown Nicholson plan in the free world out there. Sellers walks through building similar from construction grade lumber. A creative need is what fuels ingenuity. Keep thinking outside the box as we are glad to help you process. There is a lot out there.

• Like 2

Daniel.  Dude.  Buddy.  You asked for opinions and you got one.  Peeps here is cool as cucumbers and you know this.  You got mad props for that sweet planter you built.  Now quit yer cryin' and get back to bizness.  Aight?  Aight.

• Like 1

Daniel, don't you dare! We were only jacking with ya. To each his own and if you like that build, jump in and build it. Folks here talk about their Festools and I'll never own one cause I like my Black and Decker etc.

If we all thought the same, I wouldn't be here either.

I still sneak a pocket hole screw or a brad in there cause I don't have a domino!

Coops, you did nothing wrong. In fact, you got it all wrong!  :D Your comment was fine. Just to set things clear, I like all your comments, you're at the top of my favorite forum members list! Nothing you can say will change that.

Daniel.  Dude.  Buddy.  You asked for opinions and you got one.  Peeps here is cool as cucumbers and you know this.  You got mad props for that sweet planter you built.  Now quit yer cryin' and get back to bizness.  Aight?  Aight.

I love getting opinions. Any opinion, even those like the ones I posted to myself :D

Thank you all. I'm not gone, I will just keep my ideas and projects to myself for now.

I love getting opinions. Any opinion, even those like the ones I posted to myself :D

Thank you all. I'm not gone, I will just keep my ideas and projects to myself for now.

Daniel, that's the wrong response..... Every project is important to the person doing it! And if you need help, it's here for your use.  No one should think that they are above and beyond the newest woodworker.  Even they had to start with a splinter!  Don't hide your work, show us and if you need help, we'll help, if you teach us something, we'll all be grateful....... Just jump on in, the wood is ready to be dust!

Shannon Rogers did something similar as an add on to his joinery bench.  In the video it seems like it worked pretty well, but he ended up giving it away for a reason I don't recall.  Since he had a full size bench I don't think he used it a ton.  

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/rww190-the-joinery-bench/

I have often thought about making a small portable bench that I could take with me;something like this or the Milkman's bench that was in Popular Woodworking a while ago...though you need a table for that bench.

Shannon Rogers did something similar as an add on to his joinery bench.  In the video it seems like it worked pretty well, but he ended up giving it away for a reason I don't recall.  Since he had a full size bench I don't think he used it a ton.  

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/rww190-the-joinery-bench/

I have often thought about making a small portable bench that I could take with me;something like this or the Milkman's bench that was in Popular Woodworking a while ago...though you need a table for that bench.

I like that small workbench with the extension. The problem is that I ran out of storage space. I need something with a very small footprint when is not in use (I don't have a workshop and the wife is gonna kill me if I keep flooding the laundry room with new tools)

What kind of woodworking are you planning to do?  Hand tool stuff mostly I assume? That could help us land you a good working surface.  (I won't call it a bench because a bench in the traditional sense may not be what you need.)  How much space do you have to work in?  We have some apartment dwellers on the board that may be able to chime in with some tips and tricks. 

What if we came up with something that could be useful to your other half when you are not using it?  A small bench could also store things under or over it.