Box Truss Sawhorse

What kind of woodworking are you planning to do?  Hand tool stuff mostly I assume? That could help us land you a good working surface.  (I won't call it a bench because a bench in the traditional sense may not be what you need.)  How much space do you have to work in?  We have some apartment dwellers on the board that may be able to chime in with some tips and tricks. 

What if we came up with something that could be useful to your other half when you are not using it?  A small bench could also store things under or over it. 

I do a lot of hand planing, for edge joints mostly. I'm currently using a folding worktable for that purpose and it's driving me sick. Even after setting it against a wall it will be shaking and walking all the time.

I already made a small workbench (I have another thread about it). It's certainly suitable for the task at hand, pretty stable, but I have my miter saw on top of it, and is running on casters anyways.

My utility room has a lot of cabinets at both sides. Doors won't open if I set another bench in there. All usable floor space is already taken by my bandsaw and the new miter saw stand I mentioned earlier.

In the end, unless you can get something with enough beef (weight) it's going to be hard to battle the shakes.

Perhaps some sort of fold down bench that is secured to the wall and the floor will give you some more stability?

In the end, unless you can get something with enough beef (weight) it's going to be hard to battle the shakes.

Perhaps some sort of fold down bench that is secured to the wall and the floor will give you some more stability?

I thought about that many times and will resort to that if everything else fails.

post-9382-0-95942600-1435593646_thumb.jp

I don't know anything about this book, but I think the rabbit is worth chasing. It has already been mentioned that horses can be a pain to store, but your idea in the OP has some merit. This type of book might help someone process as it looks from the cover to be ideas like I have used. Anyone here own it?

• Like 1