Workbench Ideas

Peter Brown

Hi, I'm new to this group!

I'm planning to build a workbench for my shop, and I like the split top Roubo design, but bit concerned over the price to build. I like the BenchCrafted vises and design.

This will strictly be a working bench

So, opinions on least expensive hardwoods suitable for the bench tops? My thoughts have been leaning soft maple.

Also, I have a lot of cuts left from the timber frame  barn/workshop I built recently, they're eastern white pine and 4x6 to 8x10 rough sawn lengths suitable for bench legs. So, I'd like opinions on building the base out of this large stock. It was green when I built with it in Sept 2014, and spent the winter outside in a snow covered field, so not likely to be seasoned through.

I definitely wouldn't be if they're green...and at those thicknesses they surely still are.  That pine would be okay for the base if it were dry...way too soft for the top.  It won't have as much mass as harder woods so you'll lose a little weight.  Not ideal but not the end of the world.  I wouldn't go any softer than soft maple for the top...mine is soft maple and I wish it were harder.

Many many bench threads on this forum.  Use the search and you could probably read all day on this topic...

Welcome to the forums..

With all due respect, if the roubo is what you want, why skimp?  Build what you want to build and only do it once. 

I'm with Kev on this one. If you're looking at BenchCrafted hardware, I'd look at doing the bench out of maple, ash, oak, etc. Beech is also cheap and very hard. I'm building mine from soft maple and cherry. Sadly there were no pieces of ash big enough from the lumber dealer I bought my lumber from. 

My bench is Doug Fir.  I have a feeling it is going to last a long time.........    If I ever get it finished.  I did get my last leg glued up last night though.  Time to plane the last two legs square. 

I have a suspicion that a Doug Fir bench that you can afford is better than a hardwood bench that you don't have the money for. 

• Like 1

Schwarz recommends yellow pine from the home center. The large sizes, 2x10 and 2x12, are usually the best quality wood. Pick through the pile to find the straightest, clearest boards and then cut them down to the sizes you need. Doug fir, if it's cheap and easily available in your area, would be a nice choice too.

If you want to go hardwood then go with something inexpensive and easy to work. Roubo and his colleagues way back went with oak. Ash, soft maple, and beech are all good choices too depending on availability and price.

As for wet wood, a wet top and dry base is ok as it'll tighten up the joints as the top dries over the years in your shop. But a wet base and a dry top will do the opposite, so avoid that if you can.

What wood you go with will likely be determined by what is available locally. If you are shopping at a retail store like woodcraft or rockler, it is likely very expensive. Find yourself a fellow who is working out of a random warehouse or an old barn and your prices will get a lot better. Near me is a guy who cuts his own trees and dries them in his own home made kiln. When it comes to local trees he is the cheapest by a lot.

To find a fellow like that near you use woodfinder.com

Pretty much anything can be used so I would go with the cheapest hardest wood you can get.

• Like 1

What is your current skill level?

What are you currently using for a bench?

Are you going to be woodworking for the next 15 years?

Good questions. My skills are good

Old benches have been all kinds of work surfaces, but I haven't had a pro setup with well placed dogs, good vices, etc.

I just finished building this shop and have upped my equipment and other work spaces and plan to do this professionally- 15 plus years

• Like 1

That removes my initial concerns :)

It sounds like you are ready to build a lifetime bench.

My advice would be to move forward with the bench design of your choice. The bench crafted hardware is expensive, but, it is worth it.

It is difficult to give advice on hardware/tools because we are all on different budgets. If you can afford the BC stuff, go for it. If it isn't possible, take a look at the Lake Erie wooden screws. If you use wooden screws, I'd still recommend the BC criss cross.

• Like 1