Where to Start with Heirlooms (Dining Room Table)

Lee Bussy

On a recent trip (got back last night actually) I passed by my sister's place and she has a lot of our old family furniture that she's acquired (being the "good" one).  She's downsized and was looking to get rid of a lot so I told her I would take what she did not have room for.  I brought a couple pieces home with me, and will arrange to ship more.

For starters there's a dining room table that I am not sure of the age but it was a family piece for a while and it is important to me - as they say "if this could talk"!

I have not unwrapped it yet but as you can see from the pictures I do have, there are some areas that are going to need a lot of love.  The top for instance was partially stripped at some point but never re-finished so there's some varying colors there where things just don't match.  I know (or think I know) that you don't want to remove vintage finish, but the top may need it.  I am not a stranger to scrubbing, sanding, gluing and finishing, but I don't know where to start on this.  Here's what I can detail right now:

The base (not even sure what style this is):

IMG_3762.JPG

The top - you can't see much but you can see it's a round top, skirt-sided, and I think called an "extension pedestal"?

IMG_3763.JPG

Here's a close-up of one of the leafs .. this is the original finish so I am pretty sure the pedestal received some sort of refinish attempt as well:

IMG_3764.JPG

Here are the three leaves I have.  The pin holes are wallowed out from ham-handed attempts to slide them in.  Some of them are cracked on the ends, all are in semi-rough shape:

IMG_3765.JPG

These are the extension slides:

IMG_3766.JPG

A closeup of the leg so you can see the lamination:

IMG_3767.JPG

This table probably has a lot more sentimental value than real - but like I said it's important so I want to do something to make it a part of my life and home again.  Are there any "FAQs" on what to do/what not to do on a job like this?  Should I just take it apart as far as it can go (can take the legs and mounting off, that's about it) and catalog the damage?

Personally, I would want to restore it to a condition that would allow me to use it with pride. If the top has been partially stripped anyway, I would go ahead and strip the entire table, so the refinishing would come out more even.

I would only go so far with structural repairs as to make it fully functional, not "like new perfect".

But that's just me....

Okay then, it's unanimous. I also appreciate that it's "that is not a fancy/expensive table so don't worry about it" behind the advice.  I get that - like I said it's a family thing. :)

I assume then that stripping all the pieces would be first, before any repairs?  If so, any recommendations for a product?

My wife brought home a table just like that from and auction. Physically it was in pretty good shape but the finish was pretty bad. She took it to a "PROFESSIONAL" and had it stripped and new finish applied. About 2 months later it started to fall apart. I told her to call them and complain but she refused and expected me to fix it. I hate trying to rebuild old furniture, so every time we have to move it you have to prop it up so it doesn't fall in a heap. Just something to think about.

My wife brought home a table just like that from and auction. Physically it was in pretty good shape but the finish was pretty bad. She took it to a "PROFESSIONAL" and had it stripped and new finish applied. About 2 months later it started to fall apart. I told her to call them and complain but she refused and expected me to fix it. I hate trying to rebuild old furniture, so every time we have to move it you have to prop it up so it doesn't fall in a heap. Just something to think about.

This particular table had been apart (at least as far as it was supposed to) more than a few times for moves the past several years. The legs come off, they have studs and nuts/washers on the inside of the pedestal. So at least as far as that goes I'm not too worried about it. It's rather primitive. :)

Woodbutcher, I would be willing to bet that they dipped the whole table in a solution in a tank to remove the old finish.  I had some friend some years back that did this with some old dining chairs that they had acquired.  They wanted to do the refinishing but didn't want to strip them so they took them top a pro shop

.  The solution that they use eats most types of glue.  When they got the chairs back they were all loose and wobbly.

Woodbutcher, I would be willing to bet that they dipped the whole table in a solution in a tank to remove the old finish.  I had some friend some years back that did this with some old dining chairs that they had acquired.  They wanted to do the refinishing but didn't want to strip them so they took them top a pro shop

.  The solution that they use eats most types of glue.  When they got the chairs back they were all loose and wobbly.

Yeah, that what I figured too. I told her I would build her a new better table and she said no thanks, she likes "Her" table. Oh well.