Pergola with 2x12x24

socoj2

I have an issue im trying to build a pergola with 2x12x24 the total unsupported distance is 18.5' but that is from post to post im thinking about doing some 4x4 bracing in as well to shorten the span

with that it brings the unsupported distance down to 13 feet ish

Thats the long side its 4 beams. one on either side of a 6x6 that are pocketed.

The front to back unsupported  distance is 11.5 feet with 18 stringers with a total length of 14.5 feet

He has it^^ I misread your side view comment. Your design would benefit from a post at the end of that hand rail.

The section on the left would be the side, the one of the right would be the front elevation.

the side elevation is only 11 feet unsupported. and all the stringers are running perpendicular to the side elevation.

The horizontal beams depicted in the front elevation is what im mainly concerned with.

I can brace the front and bring the unsupported distance down to 13 feet on the front.

I can not brace the back due to a door and window, so its an unsupported 18 foot span.

Granted there are TWO 2x12s per run that will be sistered together and put in on hips of the 6x6.

08KkkFE.jpg

I think with the double 2x12s i should be good with the 18 foot section on one side.

Sistered 2x12s would probably be fine, but if it were me I'd want to reduce weight.  Then again, I tend to over-think and over-engineer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Sometimes, "just make it bigger" doesn't work for long beams, because the weight of the beam becomes significant.    The strength is coming from the top (in compression) and the bottom (in tension) and the distance between them.  The material in between adds weight (load) without adding much strength.

You can cut holes in the beam to remove some unnecessary material.  Circles or ellipses are good because they don't have corners, and corners are weak points.  You can see this in aircraft design, where weight is a big factor.

Or, build a truss into your design.

The 2-2x12 spanning 18ft are capable of carrying a roof load of about 20lb/sq ft.  This would give a deflection of about 0.82" in the middle.

This is assuming you are using Southern Yellow Pine #2.

Wind and earthquake loading will not be much of an issue for the 2x12's but will have an effect on your post and it's foundation.

I don't recall you saying where you live but snow/ice loading would be a possible concern but I believe your roof is open framing so not too much snow would be able to accumulate.

If you do decide to put the "knee" braces in on the front just know that the connections between the brace and the post/2x12 joists will have to be adequate to carry that reaction.