critique my miter saw station thoughts

bushwacked

Ok, so this is my winning thought at the moment for my miter saw station build.

Original Idea ...

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-25%20at%202.28.5

My thoughts are to get plenty of drawers in there for storage to help around the shop. Also, to integrate the spindle sander at the end of the left side as well. It would sit flush to the top so if I do have a long board it would act as a support when not in use. The shelves under the miter saw I am not sure what to do with, but maybe I will try and figure some sort of dust collection solution to be in that area? Also, the drawers next to the miter saw, it just seemed like a good idea since they are smaller, to have more of those in that area.

Am I missing anything or over looking anything ... Am I trying to do to much with this space?

Thoughts?

Most up to date idea after discussion in the thread...

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-27%20at%206.13.4

For those curious who have not seen my shop build coming soon, here is the scale layout ...

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%206.30.5

Ya I forgot to take out the open shelf ... I thought I was going to leave it open, but then when drawing the front view I thought I would go with drawers instead of 1 big vertical opening 

Would you not keep a shop vac under there for connection to miter saw / storage of it / ease of use for cleaning miter mess?

I have a suggestion for what it's worth. Swap the saw with the cabinet to the right of the saw. You typically don't need as much room to the right of the blade as you do to the left. You want the long end of your board to the left usually. That will give you a few extra foot of space before it interferes with the sander.

Keep your depth in mind..  As richard pointed out, you'll have dust colletion and saw clearance in the back as well.  I know that mine is considerably deeper than a standard counter top..

how much is considerably deeper? Is yours a sliding miter saw? Mine is not a sliding so I dont have to make up as much for those rails ... although I do need to make sure DC has enough clearance though.

Also with a deeper countertop, this would mean I would need deeper cabinets, correct?

how much is considerably deeper? Is yours a sliding miter saw? Mine is not a sliding so I dont have to make up as much for those rails ... although I do need to make sure DC has enough clearance though.

Also with a deeper countertop, this would mean I would need deeper cabinets, correct?

Although you don't currently have a slider, what if you want to put one in?  My point being if you don't think about future upgrades, changes, or additions you're stuck with what you have.  Nothing worse than changing everything you built because you didn't plan ahead a little.

I used standard cabinets and just extended a double 3/4" ply top to account for the extra depth.

I don't recall exactly how deep mine is but, I can get a measurement for you..  I'm traveling for work right now but, I can ask the wife to check it..  I want to say it's around 36" but, I don't recall exactly.

Although you don't currently have a slider, what if you want to put one in?  My point being if you don't think about future upgrades, changes, or additions you're stuck with what you have.  Nothing worse than changing everything you built because you didn't plan ahead a little.

I used standard cabinets and just extended a double 3/4" ply top to account for the extra depth.

I don't recall exactly how deep mine is but, I can get a measurement for you..  I'm traveling for work right now but, I can ask the wife to check it..  I want to say it's around 36" but, I don't recall exactly.

Hmmm, good point but which sliding miter saw should I work off of to get measurements to make sure something will fit if I upgrade it. Are the height and width all pretty close to the same though?

Couple more thoughts...

If you get the Bosch or Kapex SCMS, 24” depth is fine. But for the DeWalt (which I also have), you’d need closer to 30”.

I’d get rid of the small drawers on the left (or right if you prefer) to shift the saw to the left or right to get a full 8’ support on one side, and make the drawers on the remaining side standard legal size for hanging folder inserts... It’ll give you a place to store all the owner’s manuals, parts diagrams, receipts, warranty stuff, etc that never seem to be around when you need them... Why store them in the shop -- well, quick reference -- and the wife won't find the receipts... :)

I’d make the lower one for documents and the upper a saw blade storage drawer with slots to store the blades on edge...

I’d still replace the 2’ lower drawers with 2x1’ open cubbies for power tools.

I’m assuming you’ll have a base that can be shimmed level (and form a toe-kick) and permit the cabinets to be built and installed square... So the cabinets would be 2’6” and the base 6”... or 2’8” and 4”, whatever.

On the small drawers; I’d dump them. I’ve only found small drawers useful at my router table... But if you’ve not got small drawers anywhere else (and don’t plan on them), then one column of small drawers (with dividers) is useful...

I would definitely keep the Bosch in mind then ... The wife would kill me if she saw a festool miter saw, she knows the name and the quality ... and of course the price tag.

I do like the taking one set of small drawers out to get a full 8' off one side. The manuals is also another nice touch too.

Are you saying all the bottom row of 2x1' drawers to just open 2x1' cubbies? Why the bottom and not the top .. just curious.

Yes I will have a base I can shim level and will have the standard toe kick. The garage has a little 2" step back where I am putting these shelves I will have to deal with, but just not drawn in the plans yet.

As of now, I do not have any other small drawers planned for the shop. The router will be built into the workbench/outfeed table so I wont have any space to do it there either.

I like those ideas there trip H ... I updated the drawing with my take on your thoughts ... I got some bigger cubbies and smaller cubbies. 2x1' and 1x1' to have a mix for different things. I kept the smaller drawers, but just adjusted them around since I will need some somewhere in the shop.

As far as the depth goes ... would 30" depth be a very good start at solving my issues of upgrading to a SCMS?

Hmmm, good point but which sliding miter saw should I work off of to get measurements to make sure something will fit if I upgrade it. Are the height and width all pretty close to the same though?

That depends on what your future holds..  I've seen the Bosch, Dewalt, and the Kapex mentioned..  If a change is in your future then, best to plan for it.

Another option is to plan for the biggest one so it really won't matter what you go with because you'll always have the room.

was going to put a dust collector port in the bottom of the garbage can but it collects almost all the saw dust with just the hood.

Thank you  higtron, I'd seen that and couldn't remember where to send him to see it!  That's what I had in mind!

going off a lot of ideas in here and doing several hours of looking around at pictures on the internet, I have made some pretty big changes to the build again ... the overall picture is updated in the first post as well....

So I decided to keep my cabinets at 2' deep, however I added another 6" on the countertop to give roughly 30" of space up top in case of future upgrades. Still up in the air on exactly how much extra room I will end up going with, but I figure I would start there and then do more research on the possible SCMS that I would upgrade to if I ever need to upgrade to get an idea of sizing.

Now the big changes to the layout of the bottom half of the miter station ...

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-27%20at%206.29.5

Going from left to right ...

1) I opened up the left side of the miter saw to store my CT36 for easy access when I need, but out of the way when not in use.

2) The miter saw section didnt change, but I did add a power switch for my shop vac I will use on the miter saw. I feel this will be quick access to turn off and on the vac when needed without too much trouble. I will talk more in #3 about it. I will be putting the scrap been there as well.

3) I am planning on putting a Rigid shop vac in the cabinet next to the miter saw behind a door to conceal it. I will have the back side of it open for ventilation and stuff so during long uses it wont get choked up do to heat or lack up air flow ... I am hoping at least. I am keeping the smaller cubbies on top for quick access storage like stop blocks and clamps and things like that would go with miter saw use.

4) left the drawers and cubbies alone here 

5) I wanted an out of the way play for my air compressor, so I decided to give it its own section. The goofy race track above it will be a hose storage piece I can wrap the air hose around and keep out of the way. I think this would be pretty effective in keeping out of the way and nice and neat until I need it.

Questions:

1) Do shop vacs over heat? I have no idea, but I dont want to kill the rigid being behind a door not getting enough air flow.

2) Should I put a door on the air compressor section to conceal it? Also to help with noise reduction some as well? Will it have the same issue as the shop vac not getting enough air flow? Will heat be an issue keeping it in there? Like, burn down my shop heat ... 

Quite an update!

I personally wouldn't be too concerned with over heating issues with those items but, you could leave the backs open to allow for more air flow.

haha, yes. Working Taiwan hours at the moment gives me lots of free time at home to think about this. Then the stuff you sent, geez now my mind is really racing with what all I can/want to do haha.

The vac has to pump out air - it will need to work harder if it needs to force that air out of an enclosed space.

Ya I was thinking the same thing ... but there wont be a back on there, and I could always put some holes on the left and right side walls to open up more air ventilation as well if its going to be an issue.

Maybe it's just me...

You latest design image only shows the right hand side of the drawing...

Would help to see the entire thing...

As a side note, leave the vac and compressor cubbys open...

Also, why a cubby for the vac? Is it just for storage? Mine just kind of floats around the shop and migrates to the location of the latest mess...

I've got one of those traveler's to. They're never where you need them..

Maybe it's just me...

You latest design image only shows the right hand side of the drawing...

Would help to see the entire thing...

As a side note, leave the vac and compressor cubbys open...

Also, why a cubby for the vac? Is it just for storage? Mine just kind of floats around the shop and migrates to the location of the latest mess...

Ya I did a close up of the things I changed ... I am keeping the full updated version in the first post as well. Here you go to make it easier though ...

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-28%20at%207.15.1

I took the doors off the cubbies that would store shop vacs and compressors that would be in use in the cabinets. 

As for the storage on the CT, I just wanted to place to put it that would get it out of the way and help keep things neat around the shop when not in use. Figured this would be a good place to store it.

Another adjustment I made was to make the Miter Saw section 2' instead of the almost exact size of the saw. I figure the few extra inches on each side wont make a difference and will help if somehow I end up getting a wider miter saw in the future.