Table Saw, time for a good one

Paul Edgar

Time for an upgrade at the table saw. Have been using a Ridgid semi portable model 2424 for over ten years. Been reliable and cuts well. I'm looking for a little more accuracy. What do people do with larger/heavier units when it comes to ripping a long piece? These larger units don't seem to be on a wheeled system. Also what are the other folks using and what is recommended as far as brands and must have features? Thanks in advance, Paul

The first thing I'd do, is locate the search button, and research what's been said about table saws for several years here.  All good info.  What it really boils down to, is, what are your plans for the future in working with wood?  Are you 25 years old or 50 years old. Do you want your last ever saw, is it going to be moved often, and long distances, or is going to stay in the shop?  There are mobile bases for most Cabinet saws, but they are just for in shop use.  There are a ton of saws to choose from starting with Grizzly, Delta, Saw Stop.Jet,   They all have features, but only you and how you work is going to determine what saw is best for you!  You can buy a good saw that should last 20years if cared for, and some will out live you.  Enjoy the research, just don't drool into your keyboard, the keys get stuck!   Oh, and welcome to the forum, good folks here, and there's no dumb questions!

• Like 2

I too would suggest making use of the Wood Talk search feature. Do some research and find a few models that you are interested in. Then you could come back with a new post of the models you selected and ask for input from this very knowledgeable bunch of folks. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

Just about every stationary saw on the market can be placed on a mobile base and easily rolled around a shop with a solid floor.  Some  do have built in wheels, but adjustable mobile bases are available for literally all current consumer saws being sold in the market place. 

The move from a TS2424 to a good hybrid with a full cabinet would likely be noticeable....depending on the choice, one of the better ones would offer more mass, full enclosure for better DC, better fence, more power, more efficient power transfer, smaller footprint,  and the benefits from a riving knife.  

If you have 220v, the jump to a 3hp industrial style cabinet saw would be pretty substantial IMO.  Way more mass (and stability), twice the power, bigger smoother hand wheels, far more robust construction under the hood, great fence, full enclosure, smaller footprint, riving knife, etc.  

The ABCs of Table Saws

I have a sawstoo pro 3hp with the mobile base. I would recommend the saw and the base. Both are great and would be a big upgrade from the ridgid. It has all the features you could ever want in a saw including the extra safety feature which is nice to have especially if you have kids that will be learning woodworking on the saw. Thats really why i got it. Dust collection is also a good thing to have and with the overarm dust collector most cuts are almost dust free. My last saw was a general int. Contractor style saw and this sawstop is lightyears ahead in every way possible.

One of the things I like about the mobile base on the SawStop is that only when you are actually moving the saw is the mobile base "active", the rest of the time the saw it's self is actually on the ground.  My old saw had a mobile base and I had no problem with it, its just nice having the solid feel of the machine on the ground. There are probably other brand saws that do this also and I think there are aftermarket bases that do this also, at least to some degree.  Just an added feature to consider.