Table Saw Cabinet Joinery Question

I am designing a new cabinet for my table saw.  I am not sure how to join the cross members on the top.  They need to be strong, but I am not sure what my best option is.  Can you give me some opinions?  I have attached my SketchUp file for you to see what I am talking about.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.  Have a good day!

Tablesaw Cabinet.skp

Seems awfully complex for a Tablesaw stand . I am guessing it's a portable or contractors saw ? If so the center cross pieces shouldn't have any load on them. They could be useful to stabilize the frame from racking.

Personally for shop functional things like this I would use screws and butt joints. Maybe rabbett the posts to receive the upper and lower frame. I can understand using this project to practice joinery .

Is this a stand for a portable saw to sit on? What are the top l x w

It is for a very old Craftsman table saw.  It was my grandfather's.  It is the size of a portable saw, but the weight of a cabinet saw.  The table is 1.5" cast iron.  The thing is a beast!  The dimensions of the cabinet will be 40x48x36 when it is all said and done.

Seems awfully complex for a Tablesaw stand . I am guessing it's a portable or contractors saw ? If so the center cross pieces shouldn't have any load on them. They could be useful to stabilize the frame from racking.

Personally for shop functional things like this I would use screws and butt joints. Maybe rabbett the posts to receive the upper and lower frame. I can understand using this project to practice joinery .

I agree it is complex.  I have a tendency to over design!  As if you couldn't tell.  The saw is the size of a contractor's saw, but it is a very old Craftsman table saw and weighs a ton.  The table is 1.5" cast iron.  I will also be incorporating a router table and a Roubo-esque work surface.  This cabinet is going to have to hold some weight.

The joints completely destroy the  bending strength of the upper beams in the center most portion where bending strength is needed.

Think of how rectangular steel or aluminum tube is used to make carts.  Nearly all the strength is in the outer portion, that's why tubing has a high strength to weight ratio, the center doesn't offer much strength.

You don't want to notch through the outer portion of the beam.

Really, I don't think the other joints are good enough to safely support a heavy, dangerous machine like a table saw. 

• Like 1

Gentlemen-

Thank you for your replies.  That is what I thought.  However, I did wind up cutting the joints as shown because I had not seen your replies until now.  I weigh around 200 lbs, and after I put it all together, I stood on the cross members to make sure they would not fail.  They held up.  I would rather drop myself a couple of feet in testing than drop my table saw while cutting.  I do plan on putting in supports to take the pressure off the weak joints.

I also had a lot of things 'hidden' in the SketchUp file.  The plan was always to put 3/4" ply on the top of the lower portion of the cabinet to help with weight distribution.  The plan provided was just the beginning.  I plan on including shelving, drawers, and fold down extensions.  I have a very small wood shop (a.k.a. the garage, which also is my storage unit and gym).  Once I am done with the design, I will post it on this thread to see if anyone has any suggestions for improvements.

Again, thank you all for your time and help.  My pool of wood worker friends is a little shallow.  Good to get advice from people who are more experienced than me.