Jointer Setup - Reality Check

jwturner422

After putting it off for a while, I decided to begin tuning up my jointer (a used Ridgid 6") today per Marc's video.  Since I don't have a parallelogram jointer, I referenced off the infeed table and took my measurements on the outfeed table using a Vertias 50 inch ruler. My first measurements showed a .006 difference between the front of the table to the end and a .003 thousand difference between the front of the table and the back of the table near the cutter head.   So essentially the front of the table was higher than the back and there was a slight twist in the front.  Per Roland Johnson's article in Fine Woodworking, issue 230, I decided I would start first with just loosing the gib on both tables and retighten.  To my surprise, after rechecking with the feeler gauges, the tables were coplanar.  When I checked the front and back measurements again, I wan unable to get the .001 thousand feeler gauge under.  I checked both infeed and outfeed front and back, and could not get the feeler gauge underneath. I did learn that my outfeed table is not completely flat.  There is a .002 thousand dip in the middle that I believe is considered within tolerance.  I don't plan to worry about it.

As a relatively new woodworker with little experience setting up machines, I'm struggling to believe that it ended up being that simple.  I'm doubting my technique. In particular, I have a OneWay Multi Gauge that I used to first establish that the infeed table and outfeed table were at the same height. I zeroed the dial on the infeed, set the plunger on the outfeed table, and raised the infeed table until the dial hit zero.  I then used the ruler and checked as I outlined above. 

I'd appreciate any feedback on my technique. 

Thanks,

Joel

Joel, sometimes you just get lucky. I had the same thing happen recently on my Jet JJ-6.  I put it off until I could ignore it any longer.  Loosened the gibs, made a 1/8 turn on two of them and retightened.  It was dead nuts. 

Maybe next time I won't put it off so long.

Yeah ^^^, either you're coplanar or you're not...who cares how you got there.  Thank your lucky stars and move on...it won't be as easy next time, I promise.

The ultimate test is actually using the thing...run a few boards over it and see if you get flat.

FWIW, my jointer works great, flat faces, square edges and I don't own any feeler gauges.   I doesn't need to be painful or an exercise in advanced engineering.  

In many cases, you’re right – no feeler gauges, science or engineering required... Actually, it'd make an interesting poll...

But in some cases, you have something difficult to diagnose, much less fix... For example, the cutterhead might not be coplanar with one (or both) tables. In these cases, you need all the machinists’ aids you can get your hands on...  It’s really a matter of YMMV...