Need a new cooler dust mask any suggestions

i'm tired of having to dump the water out of my respirator every 15 minutes even on a cold day I guess I must have hot breath because I still get a lot of water buildup looking for something in either the cloth style or the disposables that are comfortable and made for somebody with a larger face i'll probably still use my full on respirator when I'm making a lot of dust but for general use in the shop when I'm only making one or two cuts I'd rather something more comfortable any suggestions will be appreciated

I have a beard so I'd like to get one of those, but whenever I look at them they cost an arm and a leg.  Do you have a pointer to one that won't break the bank?

Disposable (last a couple of years) hoods are about 20 bucks, which include the whip hose.  I use a new (never sucked up anything) medium ShopVac marked "breathing air only" sitting somewhere in clean air on blow.  Largest cost was a couple of long shopvac hoses.  All together less than a couple of hundred bucks.  It's a handy luxury.

copied and pasted from an old thread:

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

I hate respirators. 

I made a low-tech supplied air system that works fantastically.  I bought some "disposable" Tyvek supplied air hoods (I bought thee, but I'm still using the first one for many hours), a mid-sized new Shop Vac that is never used for anything else-marked "Breathing Air Only", and some long hoses.  The hoses are hooked to the blow side of the ShopVac, and the machine sits outside in clean air on the windward side of the building I'm working in. I never get dust in my nose regardless of how dusty the atmosphere is that I'm working in.  The air blowing over your head keeps it dry regardless of how hot it is.  You have to tie it on, or it will blow off.

A small vac would probably be enough, but I like this one just fine.  I wasn't sure how much loss of air flow a little one would have with a long hose, and the mid sized one didn't cost much more.

Here's a picture of me working on plaster with it on.   http://www.historic-...l182013_012.JPG

Here's a hood:  http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/air-supplied-hood-respirator-replacement-9910-10.html

I have several types of respirators that I used to use before I put this system together.  A respirator is no comparison.  Take the hood off in clean air after you're (notice that's you're and not your) finished working, and your head is completely clean and dry.

• Like 1

Disposable (last a couple of years) hoods are about 20 bucks, which include the whip hose.  I use a new (never sucked up anything) medium ShopVac marked "breathing air only" sitting somewhere in clean air on blow.  Largest cost was a couple of long shopvac hoses.  All together less than a couple of hundred bucks.  It's a handy luxury.

copied and pasted from an old thread:

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

I hate respirators. 

I made a low-tech supplied air system that works fantastically.  I bought some "disposable" Tyvek supplied air hoods (I bought thee, but I'm still using the first one for many hours), a mid-sized new Shop Vac that is never used for anything else-marked "Breathing Air Only", and some long hoses.  The hoses are hooked to the blow side of the ShopVac, and the machine sits outside in clean air on the windward side of the building I'm working in. I never get dust in my nose regardless of how dusty the atmosphere is that I'm working in.  The air blowing over your head keeps it dry regardless of how hot it is.  You have to tie it on, or it will blow off.

A small vac would probably be enough, but I like this one just fine.  I wasn't sure how much loss of air flow a little one would have with a long hose, and the mid sized one didn't cost much more.

Here's a picture of me working on plaster with it on.   http://www.historic-...l182013_012.JPG

Here's a hood:  http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/air-supplied-hood-respirator-replacement-9910-10.html

I have several types of respirators that I used to use before I put this system together.  A respirator is no comparison.  Take the hood off in clean air after you're (notice that's you're and not your) finished working, and your head is completely clean and dry.

This is a great idea.  Never would have thought of that. 

I should probably clarify I wasn't looking to replace my respirator I like my 3M and will still use it when I make a lot of dust or are using volatile chemicals but when I'm not making much dust at all I would like to have something real cheap and easy to wear either cloth or disposable that fits a large face