Chest of drawers

shaneymack

Time for that shop full of new stuff to earn its keep. LOL, I'll be lurking in the shadows.

I've seen several people using a jigsaw to break down stock. I have a nice porter cable jig saw but if it's not

A radius or irregular cut I aways end up with my cordless brushless dewalt circular saw to knock down stock, just not happy with the jig saw, maybe it's my blade selection or maybe impatience,

• Like 1

Brand new agressive wood cutting blade on my bosch and it cuts through 8/4 rough stock quicky and safely. I think it is the safer method over circ saw personally and thats coming from a journeyman carpenter that use to frame houses using circ saws all day long. All to say im not a circ saw newb. I just like the safety aspect of the jigsaw. If ever your workpiece is not properly supported, (the off cut) especially cutting rough uneven stock, possibility of kick back increases. But hey, to each their own!

I disliked my jigsaw for some time. Put a new blade and i love it again ☺

• Like 1

Brand new agressive wood cutting blade on my bosch and it cuts through 8/4 rough stock quicky and safely. I think it is the safer method over circ saw personally and thats coming from a journeyman carpenter that use to frame houses using circ saws all day long. All to say im not a circ saw newb. I just like the safety aspect of the jigsaw. If ever your workpiece is not properly supported, (the off cut) especially cutting rough uneven stock, possibility of kick back increases. But hey, to each their own!

I disliked my jigsaw for some time. Put a new blade and i love it again ☺

I totally agree! I cringe when I have a 5' piece in my left hand, holding it as straight as possible, as I come close to the end of the cut, especially when the board is wide. What kind of blade do you use? I'm sure I'm going down the wrong path.

It's a good project - enjoy the process. I made one with the curved legs etc (I think it was back in 2012 when I finished it) for a customer and still see it from time to time. It still looks superb and I think that is down to the excellent design. Do the sliding dovetail dividing the two top drawers if you can.

I have another commission for one in sapele coming up two projects down the line.

Here's a tip for you - not sure if you have a bandsaw or not but when you cut the curved legs to shape retain the offcuts. You can use them as clamping cauls when you come to do the glue up. They work really well when using parallel clamps.

• Like 1

I totally agree! I cringe when I have a 5' piece in my left hand, holding it as straight as possible, as I come close to the end of the cut, especially when the board is wide. What kind of blade do you use? I'm sure I'm going down the wrong path.

Hey coop, here are the blades i use. Really aggressive and work great for rough cuts.

post-16857-143576698486_thumb.jpg

It's a good project - enjoy the process. I made one with the curved legs etc (I think it was back in 2012 when I finished it) for a customer and still see it from time to time. It still looks superb and I think that is down to the excellent design. Do the sliding dovetail dividing the two top drawers if you can.

I have another commission for one in sapele coming up two projects down the line.

Here's a tip for you - not sure if you have a bandsaw or not but when you cut the curved legs to shape retain the offcuts. You can use them as clamping cauls when you come to do the glue up. They work really well when using parallel clamps.

Hey Terry, you are saying to do a sliding dovetail as an added feature? Is it not on the plan?

I do have a bandsaw and that is a great tip and great timing i should be cutting those legs soon!

This piece in sapele is going to look awesome. Are you using any complementary woods or just 100% sapele?

Awesome grain selection for the legs! Looking forward to the build!

I was wondering if someone would pick up on that. I was blown away at how well the grain followed the curve at the bottom of the leg. And both legs have the same curvature in the grain. Sometimes things just work out!
  • Like 1

Hey Terry, you are saying to do a sliding dovetail as an added feature? Is it not on the plan?

I do have a bandsaw and that is a great tip and great timing i should be cutting those legs soon!

This piece in sapele is going to look awesome. Are you using any complementary woods or just 100% sapele?

You'll come across the sliding dovetail in one of the videos related to the web frames. It's well worth doing as it looks great on the finished project. You could then use the experience gained on other projects.

On the all sapele one I'm doing the customer has asked for it to be all in one species to match some existing furniture that I've also built. So even the custom drawer pulls will be sapele. The secondary wood inside the drawers will be white oak though.

You'll come across the sliding dovetail in one of the videos related to the web frames. It's well worth doing as it looks great on the finished project. You could then use the experience gained on other projects.

On the all sapele one I'm doing the customer has asked for it to be all in one species to match some existing furniture that I've also built. So even the custom drawer pulls will be sapele. The secondary wood inside the drawers will be white oak though.

Awesome. I have a little experience with sliding dovetails so i will do that for sure!

You will have to post a pic of the sapele project once its all done. Its going to look awesome!

Got all the mortises and grooves for the panels done on the four legs today. My new work bench made easy work of clamping wood any which way i need. I love it

post-16857-143589591783_thumb.jpg

post-16857-143589602122_thumb.jpg

If you look in the background of the second picture you will see a new addition to my shop. I got it spray foamed today. Just the exposed concrete below the framed wall. It has ice on it every winter so i think it will make a big difference when old man winter comes a knockin.

Top notch advice for any project. Changes your bandsawing strategy as well...since the off cut has to be clean and intact. Well worth the extra effort.

Time for that shop full of new stuff to earn its keep. LOL, I'll be lurking in the shadows.

I've seen several people using a jigsaw to break down stock. I have a nice porter cable jig saw but if it's not

A radius or irregular cut I aways end up with my cordless brushless dewalt circular saw to knock down stock, just not happy with the jig saw, maybe it's my blade selection or maybe impatience, . I don't know carry on...

I started to break down stock with a jigsaw when I saw Marc doing it in a video a few years back. I found the blade would cut at a slight angle on thicker stock or the cut was irregular. I now just break down stock using a hardpoint saw. It's much quicker and no risk of pinching the blade when you emerge at the end of cut.

• Like 1

Got all the mortises and grooves for the panels done on the four legs today. My new work bench made easy work of clamping wood any which way i need. I love it

attachicon.gifrps20150702_235652.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20150702_235635.jpg

If you look in the background of the second picture you will see a new addition to my shop. I got it spray foamed today. Just the exposed concrete below the framed wall. It has ice on it every winter so i think it will make a big difference when old man winter comes a knockin.

I wish to learn more on your workbench, you build it? Is there a journal for it?

There sure is.

)

This is not a roubo workbench... :)

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Great! Saves me the trouble of say.. looking at the posts for your name. That seems hard after the day I had. :) 

Also, digging the chest of drawers. Thinking I want to build that too, but it's honestly a little above my skill level right now. Need to put in more practice on some of those techniques. 

Great! Saves me the trouble of say.. looking at the posts for your name. That seems hard after the day I had. :)

Also, digging the chest of drawers. Thinking I want to build that too, but it's honestly a little above my skill level right now. Need to put in more practice on some of those techniques. 

That's actually the best way to learn..  Stretch yourself and learn from your mistakes.  It's really not a hard build and you'll learn so much along the way.