Chest of drawers

shaneymack

So i spent this morning re doing the front legs. Realised i put a panel groove where one was not needed. Music was cranked, router blaring and i guess my brain was in auto pilot. Woops. 75$ mistake....

This time when laying out the new front legs i made sure it wouldn't happen again;

post-16857-143820825834_thumb.jpg

I got the legs rough milled last night and finished them up this morning. Re did all the m&t and grooves. Then the moment of truth

post-16857-143820833103_thumb.jpg

post-16857-143820833815_thumb.jpg

post-16857-143820834583_thumb.jpg

post-16857-143820835088_thumb.jpg

Pics kinda suck. It was super sunny in the shop and i took them with my cell.

Hopefully i will get a chance to start rough milling the cherry panels tonight to be able to start working them tomorrow or friday.

• Like 1

I was able to do some more work in the shop today. Gotta love being on vacation!

I finished milling up the cherry for the panels. I resawed the 6/4 stock to make the left side panel and right side panels bookmatched. Each panel will be 1/2" thick.

post-16857-143830959284_thumb.jpg

The finish off the bandsaw with the resaw kind blade is awesome

post-16857-143830961784_thumb.jpg

Nice and straight as well

post-16857-143830963452_thumb.jpg

I got all the panels glued up today. The back panels are 1/4" to help reduce a little weight and they wont be getting a dado for the dust frames. The side panels are 1/2" rabbeted to fit in the 1/4" grooves. They are thicker because they will be dadoed and receive the dust frames.

This is one of the back 1/4" panels glued up.

post-16857-143830976296_thumb.jpg

No shop time tomorrow, off to the zoo with the family.

Looking great Shane. I've done things like that with my projects, after making some costly mistakes. When I did the top short rails on the Roubo I put notes to remind me that I didn't need a shoulder on one edge of the board. The words NO! NO! NO! NO! kept me from running it over my dado blade to establish a shoulder. 

• Like 1

Looking great Shane. I've done things like that with my projects, after making some costly mistakes. When I did the top short rails on the Roubo I put notes to remind me that I didn't need a shoulder on one edge of the board. The words NO! NO! NO! NO! kept me from running it over my dado blade to establish a shoulder.

Ya most of mistakes come from shutting my brain off and going into autopilot like when i used to frame houses. Furniture takes alot more thought (atleast for me) so everytime i go into auto mode i realise after i put a mortise too many or a groove on a side it shouldn't. Oh well, part of the fun i guess

Ya most of mistakes come from shutting my brain off and going into autopilot like when i used to frame houses. Furniture takes alot more thought (atleast for me) so everytime i go into auto mode i realise after i put a mortise too many or a groove on a side it shouldn't. Oh well, part of the fun i guess

On the Roubo build I accidentally scored the back of my end cap tenon with my making gauge, there's a nice line on the end cap. Granted, it's not visible and it's a work bench, but I wasn't thinking and got in the groove.

bfecafca4af2da48a21007ee27a66ae2.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

On the Roubo build I accidentally scored the back of my end cap tenon with my making gauge, there's a nice line on the end cap. Granted, it's not visible and it's a work bench, but I wasn't thinking and got in the groove.

bfecafca4af2da48a21007ee27a66ae2.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Thats not so bad.

Got the rear panels final milled to 1/4" and the side panels to 1/2". Weapon of choice; 823e66a741176574f9cca5b87b71b71a.jpg Love the drum sander. Amazing tool. I now had to rabbet the side panels to fit into the the 1/4" grooves. Weapon of choice; f8cff92a5d06bf66a1b644ab59488538.jpg Dewalt 8" dado. For anyone looking for a good inexpensive dado this is it. Im really happy with it. Sacrificial fence in place, ready to roll 97ad0d2b3aecefd6ca7d92f49a6d160e.jpg Here is a shot of the left and right bookmatched panels; b64e899d858b341d03f9803784e0f449.jpg Now i traced out the arched tops and cut them on the 1412. Moment of truth; 0ed85b4530d5a1740e94a41e3d3cab81.jpg Front dde7c8818f864aca9178d1019d71a7a1.jpg Back 7ddba34b58ae1494d969e639e28bd054.jpg66bfaeed0a3812b99feb62d6077ac13c.jpg Square as square can be; 201d58f8226af611cddf4dff8a242607.jpg

Really looking cool!  Love the curves!

Thanks! I find it alot more fun to work with curves. Ups the challenge a bit!

Shane

Really coming along great!  Like the contrasting woods.  If you daughter doesn't like it, send it my way.  

Bryan, if she doesn't want it, i will trade with you for some of those systainers you have. You could afford to lose a few!

It's starting to look familiar to me :). Always looks good when you can see something appearing. You can see why I have a low assembly table now - getting that top clamp on is a stretch.

it's looking great so far Shane.

Thanks Terry! My assembly table is a little under 36" and so is my workbench. With the chest of drawers on it which is about 48" tall it's about 7' to the top. I'm 6'-3" tall so its not too much of a stretch. Being tall, I prefer stretching than bending over. Anything higher than this chest could start to get uncomfortable. I guess ideally, one would have an adjustable height assembly table! That sounds nice. How high is your assembly table Terry?

Looking great, Shane.  Nice choice of woods, very nice grain matching and very appealing design.

I'm starting on a dresser (of sorts) and am in the middle of a mock up to check proportions. I've been using an old 30" high dining table with a stainless steel top as my assembly table and can already tell that I need to take about 6" off the legs. I think I'll start with 3" and work my way down to a comfortable height. 

• Like 1

Fantastic work so far, man.  The panels look great.

Here come the tedious and boring parts of the build...where the measure of a man is truly tested. :D

Thanks Eric. Cmon man, you don't get pumped to build dust frames? Lol. Anytime i can use a power tool or work with wood I'm pretty happy. I guess it gets me out of the crazy house. With 4 young kids ones always, crapping, or puking or crying or screaming or fighting, i could keep going. All to say, its a nice relaxing time, the short times i get in the shop, even to do dust frames. I am pretty excited to get to the drawers though. I was going to buy one of Rob Cosmans saws and knock out all the dovetails by hand but i want to be able to get this thing sprayed outdoors before its -64c outside so i might pick up a leigh or omnijig....

Looking great, Shane.  Nice choice of woods, very nice grain matching and very appealing design.

I'm starting on a dresser (of sorts) and am in the middle of a mock up to check proportions. I've been using an old 30" high dining table with a stainless steel top as my assembly table and can already tell that I need to take about 6" off the legs. I think I'll start with 3" and work my way down to a comfortable height. 

Thanks micks! I hope you do a project journal so we can follow along with your chest of drawers build as well!